Wednesday, November 09, 2011

 

Day 2087 - March of the Wooden Soldiers


Greetings, Bloggy Babes in Toyland!

One Thanksgiving tradition in our family was to watch the 1934 Laurel and Hardy movie 'March of the Wooden Soldiers', also known as 'Babes in Toyland'.

We often watched it at my paternal grandparents home in Swampscott, Mass, and I can just FEEL the excitement of those black and white broadcasts.

In those days, specials came on ONCE a year, sometimes twice. If you missed it, you had to wait another year until it came on again. There were no vhs recorders, no dvrs, no netflix, no streaming, no nothing. Watch it or lose.

MY favorite character was 'Tom Tom' (pictured), played by Felix Knight. Sorry Charlie, I still get a crush on Tom Tom when he sings, and he still managed to look cute in his dorky 'Tom Tom the Pipers Son' outfit.

If you've never seen the movie, you would probably think it's corny, but to me, it's still magical.

Comments:
Why are there no pictures ANYWHERE of 'Tom Tom' as an older man? Did he die incredibly young? So handsome :) I wonder if Savi would like that movie yet??
 
I have always loved Felix too. When I was a kid I was lucky enough to watch March of the Wooden Soldiers on a big screen at my friends house. Her father worked for a film studio and would bring it home once a year to show to us on her birthday.
I also found a great clip of Felix on youtube singing Love is a Rose. A student of his commented that she was lucky enough to have been coached by him in the 70s. She said he still had an amazing voice and was very sweet.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?