Wednesday, May 04, 2011

 

Day 1898 - May Breakfasts, Pancakes, and JohnnyCakes!

Greetings, Bloggy Cakesters!

I was offered a FREE pancake breakfast ticket for this coming Saturday, but I have water aerobics so I can't go. Drat!

That reminds me of all the pancake breakfasts I've attended, especially in May.

And thinking of those May breakfasts reminded me to tell you that in New England, a pancake breakfast might also offer Johnnycakes, the nation's first pancake.

Johnnycake Ingredients
The batter mixture is very simple:

* 1 cup cornmeal
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tsp sugar

Then whisk in 1 1/2 cups of boiling water - and that's the entire recipe.

Johnnycakes were made in the days before baking powder or baking soda were readily available for leavening. There's no egg - there's no milk. At times all they had was cornmeal and water - and if they were lucky there was also some bacon grease and maple syrup around. The Johnnycake (or Journeycake) recipe is a real, true American heirloom recipe handed down for hundreds of years.

I prefer mine to be fresh, though! Ha! TTFN and have some PANCAKES soon!

Comments:
Remember those delicious johnnycakes at the E Prov breakfast where Steve's (a blast from the past!) parents attended--can't remember if it was Knights of Columbus, or a Legion Hall. Those were yummy! Heather and Evan would remember them too!

Karen, I notice the "Choose an identity" list is always marked for google acct, and I have to change it to Name/URL. I don't remember that it used to be like that.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?