Friday, March 04, 2011

 

Day 1837 - Off to the Land of the Clam!

Greetings, Bloggy Frequent Flyers!

It's Friday, Hooray!

You know what to do - march in a circle chanting 'Fri-day! Fri-day! Fri-day!'

I'll be aboard the Quahog Express today (well, translate that to Southwest Airlines) to beautiful Rhode Island - pronounced 'Ra-d-eye-land'.

I am off to Little Rhody for Miss Savi's THIRD BIRTHDAY this weekend. That will be SOOOO fun.

It's been just about 3 months since I was there, and I know Savi's gotten cuter the whole time I've been away.

I was trying to describe the Rhode Island accent to someone at work yesterday, but it was easier just to imitate it.

Anyway - have a great Friday and a great weekend, I know I will!

Comments:
See you in RI this afternoon! Can't wait for the Savi Birthday weekend!
 
We are here at the airport waiting. We can't wait for you get here xoxox
 
Hi Karen,

See you soon, sista...

In Rhud-Ilan, people remove the "r" from a word, harmony = hominy, see? That is pretty much across the board. Park is "pok," not "pahk," like in MA (that is "ah" like the word crack). Fenway Pok. 50 miles north, Fenway Pahk. When I say Fenway Park, people ask where I am from. Hmmm. Then some folks put an R where it doesn't belong, like saying "Libyer" for Libya.

Sometimes a word such as sandwich could be sammich (or even sangwich depending on when the family left NY.)
To really describe the way people in RI speak, I guess you just have to have someone hear it. I don't think anyone could ever write all the rules.
When we moved here, I was in 3rd grade. The teacher said line up, we were all going to use "the bubbla." I felt scared. What heck heck was a bubbla?
It was a water fountain. What was known in these parts as "a bubbler."
 
Lyn, the worst is putting an "r" at the end of a word (I might have done this when I lived in Maine). It always cracked me up to listen to Evan who I assume has the typical RI accent or is that a Providence specialty? I never really thought about the distinction between RI and MA. Interesting!
 
Hi gang!

I am here, safe and sound. Flights were good, though totally full.

Yes, Nancy - my darling son has a Rha-dailand accent for sure.

We're having fun!

me
 
OK you're all having fun without me. Next year in Rhode Island!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?