Monday, September 20, 2010

 

Day 1672 - Pizza and Promotions


Greetings, Monday Morning Blah-gers!

Charlie and I were discussing pizza 'Back in the Day' yesterday.

My memories were of pooling my money with Leslie and Jeannie and Kathy to scrounge up $2 (yes, $2!) for an occasional cheese pizza at Arts Pizza in Providence, RI on the East Side. I loved that place.

Pepperoni cost more, so we usually got just cheese.

We would be salivating by the time the pizza came out of the oven. It was immediately delivered to our table on an aluminum platter with a pile of paper plates under it (this technique also allowed the paper plates to be used as potholders). The cheese was molten lava hot, with orange oil dripping onto the napkins and paper plates. I can still remember the smell and taste of it.

If you weren't careful, and the pizza was too hot, you would either burn the roof of your mouth (making the rest of the experience less than wonderful), or everything could slide right off the pizza onto your plate.

Charlie remembers having pizza when he was in college. He also pooled money with his roommates to get a pizza from 'Mr. Gatti's', and someone would go get it while another roommate went on the hunt for beer.

Are you hungry yet?? I sure am...

TTFN and have a great week!

Comments:
Hey, where is everybody? This weekend I had two big weddings, one with 12 bridesmaids, 12 groomsmen, a string quartet from Boston, a singer, a trumpet player, bagpipes outside afterward, and lots of things in the service. Then another one later where I sang a solo (Shawn Colvin song "Never Saw Blue") and I played with a cellist, and played "Here Comes The Sun" and "All You Need Is Love" and "Bless The Broken Road". Then yesterday I had a service for the Jamaican woman who's missing, (well, sort of for her family since they haven't officially declared her dead), and there were several Jamaican musicians who sang, and drums and bass and keyboard, and some women from my women's chorus sang "One Voice" by the Wailin' Jennys. Lots of evangelical type "Amens", that kind of thing. Busy weekend!
 
Marcia, I wish I could have heard you sing, and duet with the cellist! The Jamaican service sounds sad but beautiful.

Karen, the first pizza I remember was with your father at Luigi's near Bates College. I've never had one that good since, except I would pick off the anchovies. Nice memories of pizza with your friends.
 
Marcia, that sounds wonderful and interesting. I love "Bless the Broken Road."

My first memory of pizza is in college. I don't remember pizza before that --isn't that weird? Pat's Pizza was the big thing at U Maine Orono and still is. I was more interested in the beer than the pizza though. Brother Doug who also went to UMaine warned Martha and I about ordering pizzas in the dorm as we would spend all of our money. He was right.
 
No blog today (Tues). We had internet connection problems. Karen will catch up tomorrow.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?