Monday, April 19, 2010

 

Day 1518 - No 'Pane, No Gain!


Greetings, Monday morning blah-gers!

Here's a story I forgot to tell last week.

Please note the decorative and attractive propane tank in the photo taken this winter...

Way back on January 5th, I mentioned on the blog that we needed fuel, that we were in the red zone on our propane tank. We promptly got a delivery, and were happy to have it.

Last weekend, we had a cold snap, and woke up to a chilly house, about 62 degrees.

Being spoiled to having a fairly level temperature, Charlie turned up the heat on the thermostat. We waited. Nothing happened.

We mulled this over for awhile, discussing what the issues might be.

I asked Charlie (who was already chilled), to go outside and check the propane tank. He wasn't anxious to, but he did, and reported WE HAD NO FUEL LEFT. That has never happened to us in the 7.5 years we have lived here - we've always had plenty of fuel after the January fill to see us through till summer, when we get our 'summer fill'.

We speculated that the combination of a super-cold winter, me being home, and a burner repair we had in March (meaning prior to then the unit might not have been burning as efficiently) all contributed to us burning more fuel this year, and RUNNING OUT.

We also asked the propane people to check the system for leaks. They tested it, and everything checked out OK. We got the minimum delivery, which still worked out to almost $500.

Alls well that ends well, but know you know - No PRO-pane, no gain!

Comments:
Gee whiz, Karen, you have my sympathy running out of propane. I'm sure it's from your unusually cold winter. Gil is still making a fire in the stove in the basement on some chilly spring days. And we're still turning up the heat (oil) during the day. No more snow, thank goodness.
 
Hello, nothing to say except $500, that's a lot. I don't think I can get away with a segue from propane to farts today. Oh well, sorry to disappoint Nancy.

Now, a propane fart, that would be a loud one...
 
Marcia, you crack me up.

Karen, soon I will be checking my propane tank in Maine. Ugh. In fact, the view to the right of my backyard patio is said propane tank. Ugh again. The supplier is Dead River--isn't that a great name? Another thing that will be hard to get used to is when I make my winter escapes from Maine, I will still need to keep low heat to keep the pipes from freezing. Triple Ugh.
 
Hi Everyone - YES, fuel is a big expense, especially (Nancy) when you're not even HOME! Eeek!
 
Hi all. Had a CPR recertification at work tonight so I just got home. Just a quick fly by to say hello! xoxo
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?