Wednesday, February 24, 2010

 

Day 1464 - Midweek and Midlife


Greetings, Bloggy Middlers!

There's no middle of the road in this picture - it features SNOW and of course, the King of the Snow Pile.

I just can't explain how disorienting it was for me to see this in Tennessee! I loved it, though.

I remember the Blizzard of '78 in New England when we had five feet of snow. That was by far the biggest single snow event in my life.

People were walking by at WINDOW level - talk about disorienting. You could not see the cars under the snow, and plows couldn't handle the depth of the snow.

After a few days, I needed milk and bread (of course), so I made a sled out of a plastic baby washtub and walked a couple miles to Thayer Street to the closest market. I think all they had was dry milk, but that was better than nothing.

My ex was working for the city of Providence at the time, and someone came to get him on a snowmobile and bring him to work. How's THAT for city transportation?

Looking back - why didn't THAT guy bring me some milk and bread?

Ahhh - the little and trivial unanswerable questions of life....

TTFN and have a nice Wednesday!

Comments:
haha! Why DIDN'T he bring food?? Stinker. That's funny =) I like the sled idea. Was that to haul US or to sled back the food??
 
That was to put the food in! You kids were little and couldn't walk all that way.

I don't remember who watched you while I slogged to the grocery store, maybe Ellen!
 
Boston was beautiful, everyone walking in the street. I was stuck at college and then finally took a bus back to Providence, and we slid all over the place on the highway. I think I had to walk quite a ways home. It smelled like snow everywhere. I liked it. Different, and relaxed because no one could work.
 
Karen, always the inventor! I remember that awful snowstorm as Gordon and I were stuck at the gas station where he tended to so many people coming home from work and needing gas until the pumps were dry; then we stayed for 2 nights at the hotel across the street. When the roads opened I still had to walk in to the house, beginning at the town line, about 1 mile. Percival was outside all this time, and when I called to her she came in over the snow from a stand of fir trees which had sheltered her, drank some water and collapsed onto the floor exhausted--poor kitty cat!
 
The storm of 78. Well that's interesting. I was in SF so didn't experience all of the FUN.
Karen I love all those photos of Charlie looking very s-ly.
Isn't it Charlie who complains about MAINE?
You haven't heard from me because so much to do and learn at new firm--computer, phone, Blackberry, time entries; etc. is all different--I'm too OLD too learn all this new stuff! I have to learn AND take care of clients. Arrrgghhh.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?