Sunday, December 20, 2009

 

Day 1400 - Come out of the Claus-et!


Greetings, Kris Kringlers everywhere!

Chai and Julie - thanks for the ornament and card, is it on our tree!

Joe - we aren't going to go see 'Avatar' today, we're going to see 'The Road' here in Cool Springs.

I haven't told this story for a year or more, so here goes.

When I was little, we used to get a note from Santa pinned to our stockings on Christmas morning. How I wish I had saved them!

I haven't heard of many kids that get a personalized message from Santa Claus - did YOU?

Anyway - it was very special to us, and by the way, we never tried to match handwriting or guess who else might have written the notes.

Another nice tradition - a friend of mine (Melissa) said her children were always allowed to open one present on Christmas Eve. The present was either new pajamas or new bathrobes. They wore them on Christmas morning so their pictures always were extra-special.

I think that is a great tradition, if you're looking for one. Another tradition was to have an orange in the toe of the stocking, unshelled nuts, and candy, of course! Nothing nicer than seeing a candy cane peeking out of the stocking! I also hung candy canes on the tree.

TTFN and have a great Sunday-before-Christmas!

Comments:
Hi all! Lots of snow last night & today. Savi loved playing in it!! We need to get sleds!!!! I'm posting a few pics from today on Flickr. Cute!
 
Heather, we wondered if you are buried in your area! No snow here yet, (Southern Maine but inland) and most of it is expected to miss us--once in a while we get lucky! Karen the tradition of a stocking containing an orange in the toe, then walnuts (in the shell as you said), then usually paper dolls for the girls when old enough, and not sure what my brother's got. I'm not sure if we had candy in our stocking, but my Aunt and Uncle gave us a 2 lb box of ribbon candy and we thought they were so rich! We gave my father life savers and he would share them with us. The reason for this is it is what we kids could afford, and he liked them! I think you gave your father life savers too--passing on the tradition. Lots of nice memories!
 
Oh, I forgot to say the tradition of a note for you from Santa I believe came from your father. In our family, as Nancy said, we left some cookies and milk (I think) for Santa and God-knows what for the raindeer--do they eat carrots?
 
I don't remember those notes, I'm glad someone does!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?