Monday, November 23, 2009

 

Day 1373 - Groovin' on Gravy

Greetings, Bloggy Gravy Groovers!

Yes, I LOVE gravy.

Equal parts of gravy and food sounds about right to me.

No, I don't buy gravy at the store for Thanksgiving. It's too important!

Yes, I make my own stock by roasting a turkey and then boiling down all the remnants (with vegetables) until there is a delicious, delectable broth.

The broth is everything.

If your broth isn't good, your gravy won't be good.

My mother taught me to use a jar and shake flour and water, salt and pepper in it. This mixture is much easier to incorporate into the gravy for thickening, and you can control how much is used and how thick the gravy is. I don't want it thick or gluey.

NO - I don't use cornstarch for gravy. Ever. Cornstarch is for fruit desserts or Stir frys.

One tip for beef gravy - try adding a teaspoon of unflavored instant coffee to your broth - it gives it a roasty flavor that helps make it even more delicious!

TTFN!
One change I have made - I use the Wondra (Gold Medal) extra fine flour for sauces and gravies rather than bread flour.

Comments:
Hey Ms G.
Happy to see your still interested in food! CLS
 
YUMMY!!! I am so ready for Turkey I just can't even stand it. Bring it on!!

We got home about 7:15 last night after some quick shopping in Kittery and one gas stop. Savi was still all wound up so she went to bed late and slept lightly. I am tired today....

Hope you are all having fun!
 
Wonderful seeing you yesterday, Heather, and Savi and Jen, and just as wonderful having you and Charlie here, Karen, and Dave and family too! Yes, the lobster feed was scrumptious! The best part is seeing you looking good, Karen, and hearing little Savi's words!
We're going shopping this afternoon (Dave, et al), then to the Chickadee for fried clams that David loves, and whatever. I usually have lobster stew there.

My stuffing has only a small onion and small potato ground up with the crusts of white bread (add the melted butter to that), then as you said, Karen, the soft part of the bread is broken up with poultry seasoning added then hot water over that, then all put together. Salt goes in there somewhere! Your memory for stuffing and for the gravy is darn good!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?