Sunday, November 22, 2009

 

Day 1372 - Stuffing or Dressing?


Greetings, Bloggy 'Can't wait to be stuffed with Dressing' folks!

Stuffing is generally a term used up north for Bread stuffing, and is normally cooked inside the turkey.

Dressing is generally used in the south, and can be a bread or cornbread based side dish baked in a casserole outside of the turkey.

Since they are both BREAD, I like them both, but bread stuffing with Bells Seasoning and lots of celery and onion RULES for me.

My mother makes the ultra-traditional and outstanding stuffing recipe that her mother made. I compromise!

Her traditional stuffing involves grinding all the crusts of bread and the vegetables (with only a speck of potato for 'glue' - if you use too much potato it will be tacky) into one pan using a meat grinder, and adding butter and seasoning to it.

That is incorporated into a separate mixture of the white parts of the bread that has been seasoned and covered with hot water and broth. The two parts together make a fluffy and sensational stuffing.

Laura Ingalls - step aside - my mothers stuffing (and mine, of course) rules!

Comments:
After reading Fri through today blogs i'm starving. Especially since today I thought i had brought chicken salad to my office for a sandwich but found I had grabbed the container of grated cheese (same size as tuna salad) so all I had to eat was the roll. I'll have to wait for pizza tonight after Pier 39 Christmas Tree lighting (can you believe it?)

Thanks for giving my mother's recipe which I am printing out as I do not have it. I like all kinds of NEW ENGLAND stuffing (no cornbread, please!)-cooked in the turkey. I love your stuffing Karen and Darlene's mashed potatoes.

It's unamerican not to like pumpkin pie, you guys! I love sister Peggy's chocolate cream pie with real whipped cream WHICH IS ALWAYS GONE BEFORE I GET A PIECE.

Hoping for a report about the big lobster feast.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?