Monday, June 29, 2009

 

Day 1226 - Monday Mourning

Greetings, Monday morning Blah-gers!

If you haven't read the blog since Friday, my Uncle Ray passed away on Friday morning.

The entire family, as well as several townships in Maine are keenly feeling his loss.

My uncle was fun loving and a real wit - as evidenced by today's photo of Ray giving toast advice when 'Mom & Gil' got married...

He loved to laugh and joke and tease, and was responsible for the match making of at least two couples in the family.

However, Ray worked hard! If you stayed up at 'Ray and Mary Anns' during Thanksgiving week, you'd be stacking wood for sure.

He would tell wonderful stories in his deep and unmistakable voice. We listened to stories of wildlife viewing of moose and deer, county fair stories, racing stories - stories of all kinds!

I was there one day when a telemarketer called. Instead of hanging up or getting angry - Ray launched into a narrative that included a history of his life and tidbits from the last 50 years or more. I think the telemarketer finally gave up! Impressive, to out-market the telemarketer.

Telling that story made me smile - and that's what I want to do, whenever I remember Uncle Ray.

Comments:
Wonderful stories! I never heard that one about the telemarketer, and I'm still laughing! I missed yesterday's blog, but last night up at Aunt Mary Ann's I gave her a very similar picture of Heather and Ray. They can only use 30 pictures for the visiting hours, so don't know if it will be used. I love that picture! Better yet, Heather and Savi and hopefully Evan, are coming for the services, also Lyn, Steve, Christopher, also David! So we'll miss you, Karen, and Marcia, but we know you are with us in spirit and how much you loved Uncle Ray!
 
Yep, that's Ray, giving advice.

Since Friday I've been alternating between smiling and crying which I guess is a good thing. I miss being with everyone up there now but because of work cannot go until Tues. night. (Karen, if we were RETIRED we would be there now, right?) I'm staying to the 13th (a plannned vacation) so will have time to hang out with family and absorb Ray's presence on the "top of the mountain."

A bright spot will be seeing Miss Savannah and her relatives.
 
Yes Evan will be coming with Savi and me. I am looking forward to seeing everyone, but wish it were for happier reasons. Another great picture Mamma. There must be millions of great pictures since he was always such a ham!
 
Karen,

So sorry to read about your Uncle Ray. I remember him well from your Mom's wedding and a cookout in Rehoboth. He was very friendly.
I remember his Northern accent; It's was amusing to listen to him and Charlie speaking to each other ...
 
Thanks, everyone! YES, Nancy - if I were retired I would have driven up there if I had to, and I would have stayed a good long time.

The comment about 'dueling accents' between Charlie and Ray makes me smile!

Love you all!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?