Tuesday, June 09, 2009

 

Day 1206 - It BEE Tuesday


Greetings, and Bless-ed BEE!

Charlie and I had a fun time at the annual Beekeepers Picnic (it was 90 degrees outside so it was held in a large, air conditioned Veterans hall, set up with round tables).

We had Whitts BBQ and fixin's for dinner, and the attendees brought desserts. There were SO many desserts I brought back a lot of the pastries we brought for our contribution. Poor Charlie will have to eat them instead.

What do they DO at a bee picnic, you ask? Good question!

As with any gathering of people with a common interest, you hang around, meet people, and TALK. You talk about bees, and bee strategy, and honey, and 'stuff'.

All the 'new-BEEs' - people who have less experience, always want to talk about what is going well, and not as well with their bee colonies.

One woman we chatted with in the food line even showed us her various stings and swellings, which sparked a conversation about bee stings being used as a curative for arthritis.

Later on, they had a raffle and gave away certificates for Queen Bees, a Beekeeper suit, some gift certificates and various honey extraction equipment. Very nice!

And speaking of BEEs - I won one of the table giveaways last night - a little ceramic watering can with a frog on it. Very cute.

Everyone was VERY friendly and nice to us - can't wait for their Christmas banquet!

Gotta go! TTFN!

Comments:
That's pretty cute, a bee convention. Did you pick up that outfit in the picture at a sale recently? Local honey is supposed to help with allergies. I hope things are getting better with bees these days, after they kept dying last year. It sounds like the beekeepers are happy, anyway, eating lots of desserts, and staying cool.
 
That sounds like a GREAT time! I want some bees of my own so I can go to a bee picnic! Guess I could settle for a reptile picnic?

So, Savi's dr's appt went well yesterday. Her high percentile dropped quite a bit because of her weight, but otherwise she is right on target. Right BEFORE we left for the doctor's appt., the scariest thing ever happened, though. I ran upstairs to my bedroom to grab my socks and shoes. When I turned around, Savi had already climbed all the stairs and was about to step up onto the top one...but she LET GO OF THE RAILING! I ran towards her, but not in time. she tumbled backwards right down the stairs. I DOVE down the stairs to try to grab her before she hit the floor, but of course I never caught her. She was perfectly fine...not even a scratch. I, however, have a sore wrist, bruises on my knee, legs, hip...ugh. It was quite the morning. Savi got scared for a second, but literally a minute later she was running all over the house again. Made of STEEL!
 
Horrifying story, Heather--I'm not surprised you were injured but not Savi! Love yesterday's picture--I never got to the blog to comment! Karen, Gil's cousin up in Rumford Ctr. has 12 beehives now, and the day they had an open house the bees swarmed up into a pine tree and he had to cut the tree down to get the bees--then put the queen in another hive where the drones (?) followed after her. I guess it was pretty exciting! Believe me, Karen, when I was working I wasn't cooking! Tonight Bea and I are doing the food counter at Bingo. My part is 3 pies, molasses cookies, and 10 or 12 sandwiches. So gotta go!
 
Wow! heroic effort, Heather.
BEE happy Savi is fine while you nurse your aches and pains.

When I retire to Maine i'm definitely staying away from Norway/Paris or someone will expect me to cook and bake!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?