Sunday, May 17, 2009

 

Day 1183 - Girl power! A filly wins the Preakness!

Greetings, Blogregation!

Did you watch the Preakness race yesterday? It was awesome!

Rachel Alexandra became the first filly to win the preakness since 1924. You go, girl!

Here's some very interesting stuff about the race...

She was number 13 - a number I would never want to have in a race!

Rachel Alexandra was ridden by Calvin Borel.

Calvin Borel is the same jockey who rode Mine that Bird in the Kentucky Derby! Go, Calvin!

Calvin became the first jockey to win TWO legs of the triple crown on TWO different horses.

Another shocker - ten days ago, somebody else owned Rachel Alexandra, and she was NOT scheduled to run in the Preakness at all!

Jess Jackson - the founder of Kendall-Jackson winery (and a billionaire) had seen Rachel run the Kentucky Oaks race on television May 1st, and arranged a deal. Overnight, she belonged to Jackson and partner Hal McCormick and was in the Preakness discussion.

Whoo Hoo!

Gotta go - Charlie and I are going to work out, then see the new Star Trek movie at the IMAX in Nashville. Have a nice Sunday!

Comments:
We didn't get to watch the Preakness, but were happy that Rachel Alexandra won! I think the rider does make a difference. I'm just leaving for the "Walk for Water" at Hebron Academy, a 5 mile walk to benefit the orphanage, Littlefield Home in Malawi, S Africa. A friend of mine made a quilt for me to sell raffle tickets on and between myself and Janet Littlefield we have raised over $500.! For more information about this very excellent charity go to www.littlefieldhome.org
 
I didn't watch the horse thingie...no real interest in that stuff. Sorry! I DID watch a little of a dog show on animal planet, and every dog that came on, Savi would wave and say 'HI' out loud. Funny!

Yucky day today so we are just lounging around till it's time to pick Jen up at her Mom's. Can't wait till FRIDAY!!! Hope it's a nice day!
 
I loved the race yesterday--I went to the Preakness many moons ago when I lived in Maryland. I saw Borel on Leno (before the Preakness) and he is one strange dude.
Heather, I thought you loved all animals--but maybe it's the racing you're not into?
 
ya, no interest in the racing. Love the horses!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?