Tuesday, October 07, 2008

 

Day 961 - Charlie's birthday plus two

Dear Diary,

I've always imagined what it would be like to go on a cruise. Bliss, pure bliss.

Now that I'm actually on a cruise, I should be carefree and 'living the life'.

However, being my obsessive-compulsive self, all I can think about is how much everything COSTS.

It's like I have this little electric meter running, and I see the dials going around and around and around (digitally, of course), accumulating about as fast as the national debt or McDonalds burger sales.

A small example...

Gratuities... $10-$20 a day.
Gasoline surcharge - $7 a day.
Unlimited soft drink plan - $7 a day.
Spa and lap pool membership - $10 a day.
Specialty coffees - $3-$10 a day.
Beer and 'girly drinks with umbrellas' - I shudder to think.

Thanks, Dear Diary, for listening. I thought I was just seasick - it's wallet-itis!

Comments:
are those really the costs?? ugh!
 
I've heard from the cruisers! We're able to swap email through Nancy's Blackberry, which also can be used for phone calls. I just talked to Karen and all is well and they're having a great time. Seas are a bit rough but the ginger is working to keep Karen from getting sick.

The big excitement was last night when they had to turn the ship to return to American waters to meet up with the Coast Guard for a medical evacuation. The helicopter was right outside Karen and Nancy's room, so close they got wind from the props. A 7-months pregnant lady gave birth and she and the baby had to be taken to a hospital. Even with the detour the cruise will arrive in Bermuda as scheduled tomorrow. The ship sails at a leisurely pace, so now they will just sail faster to make up the time. More info as it becomes available.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?