Thursday, August 28, 2008

 

Day 921 - Nice trip - even without Moose!

Greetings, Bloggy Dearests!

What a great trip we had yesterday on the Moose Loop, which took us through Rumford, Mexico, the Height of Land, Rangeley Lake, Errol, New Hampshire, Newry, Bethel, and much more!

I haven't downloaded MY pictures yet - but this one, of 'Screw Auger Falls' in Grafton Notch State Park, Maine is SUPERB.

I can't wait to see my pictures! I'm going to Walmart later today to put them on CD.

http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/waterfall.php?name=Screw%20Auger%20Falls%20(Grafton)

At the 'Height of Land', we chatted with hikers walking the Appalachian Trail, including one group of 3 hikers taking a month to go from Mt. Katahdin in Maine to Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. I admire them so much!

We ate our Sams Italians at a picnic table at Rangeley Lake state park, where other picnickers were swimming and squealing in the lake water.

We continued on, past many mountains, rivers and scenic views. We ate ice cream at a store (hodgepodge of outfitter, house, store and ice cream shop) in New Hampshire. Signs on the windows said 'Ammunition, bait, and ice cream. Bikers Welcome'.

We rang a little bell outside the ice cream window, and was greeted by a bear of a man with a shirt that read 'I shoot deers and drink beers, that's how I roll'. He took the screen completely off the ice cream window to serve through it.

He said 'I didn't think you'd come over here - you parked next to the STORE'. Well, excuuuuse ME if we were supposed to park over at the ice cream window if we wanted ice cream... I guess we just tricked him, didn't we?

He served up way-oversized ice cream cones, which we appreciated. When I asked for extra napkins, he said 'I'll have to go find some'. I politely suggested he give us a couple of paper towels, which he handed over like he hadn't thought of it himself.

Our last stop was Screw Auger Falls - which is a WONDERFUL place, not to be missed. The falls do not require a long hike, are vastly photogenic, and even good for KIDS! I think I went there as a kid, and we tore the bottoms out of our swimsuits sliding on the rocks.

We arrived home in time to get LOBSTERS for dinner - what could be a better day??


Comments:
That is an awesome day Mamma!!! I can't wait for you all to get HERE!!!! I took a picture yesterday of Savi chomping on zwieback toast just for you. I'll download em later. =)
 
I love Savi AND zwieback toast! xxx
 
Karen, what a great blog about a wonderful day, with family, flora, fauna, food, views and buying ice cream from a real Maine man (yes, I know, New Hampshire--a mere technicality.) We didn't have napkins or paper towels when we grew up, right, Peggy?
 
Great job, Karen, telling about our wonderful trip to the "Height of Land"! Sorry I can't write more as it's evening and I need to watch the Dem Nat'l Conv!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?