Thursday, June 19, 2008

 

Day 851 - Thursday - or is it?


Greetings, Bloggies!

We are having a cold snap - it is only 54 degrees this morning, high of 83 expected with low humidity.

Perfect, perfect, perfect.

Speaking of perfect -

Here is Savannah - experiencing the wonders of baby cereal.

She looks like she's thinking 'What is going ON here? Is this FOOD? This stuff ROCKS!'

Changing subjects -

We had a blood drive at work yesterday.

If you have ever been to donate, they ask you a series of questions to see if you are a candidate for giving blood.

They have added a new question that they ask you early in the process.

THEY CONFIRM YOUR GENDER by asking you if you are a male or a female!

I guess it must be hard to tell nowadays!!!

The interviewer asked me my name, address etc. Then she asked if I am a female. I said 'Now THAT's a new question' and she said 'Yes, it is'. Yes, I told her the truth, I am a female.

I don't know what it is for - but it was certainly food for conversation yesterday!

TTFN and have a nice Thursday!

Comments:
Howdy!

The sisters are here, with your sister, and we're having a time, yes we are. Tonight we are having the ladies over.

I thought that was interesting about confirmation of gender for blood donation. There must be a segment of society that would donate under an assumed gender. A person's veracity in the process of blood donation is totally important. Otherwise, no difference between male and female blood.
If I may say, they must love your rare blood type.
I used to donate when the kids were in school, and they thought my blood type was my GRADE. I got an A minus in blood donation.
 
I just read a great book called "I'm Looking Through You", written by a Colby College English professor, Jennifer Boylan Whalen, who use to be a man. She says that there are actually quite a lot of transgendered people, but we don't recognize them as that because they look so normal. It's a great book, about the haunted house she grew up in, mixed in with telling the story of her life. She's very funny and smart. It's so hard for them when they are born and they feel all their lives that they're just not the gender that they look like, and sometimes even their family members will reject them when they make the change.
 
Well, me Savi and Jen here are female and always have been. ;) Crazy stuff.
Savi had her cereal for supper again last night and is definitely enjoying the new fun of eating and dribbling her food out. She smiles and squeals and lunges at the spoon. so cute!!!!
 
On the male/female issue, I once had a gay male secretary, we would go to lunch and people would call him m'am -- he said it happened all the time. Watching the same sex marriages on TV here in SF, sometimes I would think a woman was a man. These are not transgender people either. So who knows. And who cares anyway.

Tomorrow--San Diego! And Savi will be feeding herself by the time I return to the blog on Tuesday.
 
Oops, the author's name is Jennifer Finney Boylan, sorry about that.
 
Have to go pack for the morning's trip to San Diego! Enjoyed reading all of the comments! We enjoyed our visit with Heather and Savannah soso much yesterday, and seeing Evan again (saw all the men Tues night, Charles, Chris, and Evan!) This morning went to visit some of the staff at my former agency, and tonight 4 friends came to visit and Steve was the grill master. Lots of fun! Have a great weekend everyone!
 
One more comment about confirming gender - they may just use it as an additional identity match up.

However, since they ask even if you are OBVIOUSLY male or female, I wonder if the battery of tests that the blood goes through after donation could be influenced by gender?

Not a clue.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?