Friday, May 02, 2008

 

Day 803 - BEE good BEEcause it's FRIDAY!


Greetings, Bloggy TGIF-ers!

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your antihistamines! March in a circle, but leave the bees alone!

Charlie's bees have arrived and are now settled in their new homes.

This is one of TWO hives he has now - this is the one he sent away for, assembled and painted.

He won another hive at a beekeepers meeting, and that is now populated too.

The brown, wooden screened box on the lower right of the photo is one of the two crates of bees that arrived at the post office yesterday, priority mail. Charlie had to go get them, then literally pour them into the hive. The spray bottle has sugar water in it.

And you are asking - how many times did he get stung yesterday? The answer is twice.

When Heather was little, she used to PLAY with bumble bees and give them names (like 'Buzzer'). She was so gentle they wouldn't sting her! She would let them crawl on her hand and she would study them. Her teacher said she would make a good biologist someday.

Have a BEE-youtiful day! TTFN!


Comments:
I think I'd like one of those bee houses! How neat!! yes, I loved bees as a child. I still find them fascinating, and, although I don't LOOK to catch them on purpose, I've still had to 'rescue' them on occasion. My boss thinks I'm crazy for catching them in my bare hands, but everytime there is a bee in the treatment room, he'll call me in to get it so the patient can see me do it. Funny.
We took the baby to a School One fund raiser auction last night and she had a great time watching all the people and listening to music. She's so good in busy, loud situations like that. Going to be a little social butterfly I think!
 
That's great, Heather, that you aren't afraid of bees. Eating local honey helps with allergies, did you know that? Our former minister, Ted Anderson has bees, but some of his hives have died, due to that bee problem. Maybe if everyone started raising bees it would help the world!
 
I was just reading over some of the blogs from Karen's first couple of months as a blogger. Here are some funny things she said:

"Don't all pigs look the same inside?

My mother can crunch corn flakes and shatter glass...

Don't they know some of us are unemployed and want to go swimming?

Newsflash: It's 6:13 AM and Charlie is hooting out in the driveway.
 
Hahaha!!! Nice clips Marcia!!!!
 
I know it's not a bee story, but may I tell about the time I caught a bat? There was a bat flying around Steve's Mom's house. When it landed on the fireplace wall, I gently covered it with an open bath towel. When it flew back into the towel, I closed it in, carried it out on to the deck and opened the towel out into the night air.

You better believe I was admired THAT night, having very recently been introduced to his family. Especially with Steve having chased the poor thing with a frying pan, trying to swat it like a tennis pro. Funny sight, that!
 
Yay Lyn! I love bats!!!
 
Heather, I remember when you were 4 or 5 yrs old that the bees (and maybe hornets, too, I'm not sure) would light on your hand and never bother you! Pretty amazing. Congratulations Charlie on your bee hives!
 
Kelly put up two bat boxes on the side of our house. It's good- they eat insects and stuff. (Meaning I forget exactly what they eat, but whatever it is, it's good.)
 
I would LOVE a bat house!!!!!
 
When I was a kid and we lived in Stamford, CT - there were bats under the shutters next to the windows. They would rattle at night when the bats left for the evening, and again early morning when they returned. I forgot that until now! Lyn or Marcia - did you hear them?
 
No, I don't remember hearing them, but I remember being aware of them for some reason- maybe I did know they were going in and out...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?