Sunday, March 16, 2008

 

Day 756 - St Patricks Day Eve

Greetings, Blogregation!

I read on the web that we were supposed to celebrate St. Patricks Day yesterday, so we wouldn't conflict with 'Holy Monday' tomorrow. Oops, I didn't know.

Happy St. Paddy's Eve, folks!

It's Sunday, and here is another darling photo of Savannah, in the rocker I sent to Heather for her baby shower gift.

You may notice that yesterday's photo was a cropped section of this larger picture...

I know she'll be using the rocker a lot as time goes by!

Charlie made me laugh this morning at 6am - his country expressions are sometimes unknown to me after all these years!

You know how people say 'Uncle!', or 'I give!' when they have had enough roughhousing?

When Charlie was growing up, he learned from his Dad to say 'Calf Rope' for that situation.

I just had never heard him (or anyone else on the planet) say that before, so I spent a good fifteen minutes chuckling about the newness of it and teasing him for making these things up.

Charlie even tried to find it on the web, but evidently nobody who says it uses the internet... Ha!

So - help Charlie out here if you have ever heard that before...

TTFN! We're leaving shortly to go swim!


Comments:
okay, for charlie...Cry calf rope” (or “holler calf rope” or “yell calf rope") means the same as “cry uncle”—an admission of defeat. It comes from the phrase that if you give a calf enough rope, he’ll hang himself. The “calf rope” expression has been widely used in Texas for well over a century.
cute. baby hasn't slept yet, aside from an hour or so on my chest last night. sleepy!!!!!!!!
 
Shoot, what are you talking about. EVERYBODY knows about "calf rope", at least around here.
 
Thanks for the support! Karen thought that I made that up. Heck, I'm not that smart. :-)
 
I used to cry "Uncle" when my brother was twisting my arm, to get him to stop, but "calf rope" is a new one for me too! I can't believe Heather had the explanation. Heather, think of all the things you can research while baby is awake! Love that rocking chair! Just right for a lovely mother and beautiful baby. Maybe "Mr. Mom" will get to try it out (no crying, Mike!),
 
"CALF ROPE!" (that's to MOM)
I appologise for my conspicuous absence, Karen, dear!
At this most wonderful,time, Heather! I won't bore you with my troubles...

These pictures of Savannah are SO amazing! Doesn't she indeed look like a baby much older. A girl in progress, and progressing quite rapidly I might add. What a tremendous blessing she is to her family.
 
Actually "calf rope" makes more literal sense than crying "uncle."
 
I agree Nancy. Never did understand the Uncle thing!!
 
Well, I've never heard of it either! It's not a very Northern expression, I guess. I want to know what you guys were doing when it came up...
 
Very funny, Marcia! We were TALKING!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?