Thursday, February 07, 2008

 

Day 718 - Back on the blog

Greetings, Bloggy Storm-Chasers!

As Charlie mentioned in the comments, we didn't have any power yesterday morning so there was no bloggage yesterday.

Our power came back on just as I was backing out of the garage to leave for work (after I had showered and dressed by flashlight and missed my foame' latte' and my breakfast)! We lost power again for several hours yesterday afternoon, but I think we're back in business today.

We spent all Tuesday evening into the wee hours of Wednesday morning (till we lost power) watching the radar to see if a tornado was headed our way. Our whole county was under a tornado warning most of the night, so conditions were ripe but thankfully we did not have one touch down near us.

One humorous tidbit about Tuesday evening - I'd been to water aerobics, and was driving home around 7:30pm. It was dark, with lightning flashes, no rain, and very windy. Charlie had told me via cell phone to hurry home because the storms were getting near.

As I was driving along the highway, all of a sudden there was a lot of grass debris in the air, flying around and hitting my car.

I thought - 'Holy Smokes, we're already getting dangerous winds, I'd better get home!' No, dumb-butt, turns out that I was behind a hay truck and lots of hay bits were blowing back from it onto ME. I passed the hay truck, but I smiled when I did it and got home with no issues.

When I drove to work yesterday, there was one spot nearby where a tree had been across the road, and I've been wondering if that is why we lost power.

Anyway - we are very thankful that all WE lost was electricity - the storms were terrible and left death and destruction behind them.

A couple of stories that I heard on the news:

Two parents are in the hospital after being lifted and thrown by a tornado. The wife has a broken back, the husband has a broken pelvis. Their 2 year old was unharmed.

Rescue workers found an 11 month old baby alone in the middle of a field yesterday morning. His mother did not survive, but he is just fine.

Have a safe day and TTFN!

Comments:
Hey, I hope you guys have a basement or something, where would you go ?
 
The hay truck story made me laugh. The other two stories, especially the one about the 11 month old, is just amazing!!! Scary nature!
 
I pray for that poor baby with no mother. I wonder who will take care of him. Did the news say? A sad image, that poor baby all alone in a field.

Easy to be skittish after such a storm - the hay coming at your car like that! Good thing you could just laugh about it after all...

When I lived in MO we would have Tornado drills at the hospital: the protocol was to close the window curtains, move the pt beds away from the windows as far as we could without unplugging anything, then close the curtains around the beds. Nothing else we COULD do, really.
 
I have been glued to the TV watching the tornado stories. Many miracles but so much sadness. It shows we really have no control over random events.

Karen, what is your plan if you got a direct hit like in Jackson?
 
Karen, when you wrote you were watching the radar, is that on the weather channel, or is there a separate station for this! I had to smile reading the hay truck story, even tho you had told me this on the phone. We're all so grateful you and Charlie, and Charlie's family are safe and sound. It's shocking to see the pictures of the devastation, and hear the tragic stories such as the baby alone in the field but miraculously alive! Lyn, I didn't realize you had tornado drills in MO.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?