Monday, January 21, 2008

 

Day 701 - Moan-day again!

Greetings, Monday morning Blah-ghers!

Thanks to everyone who participated in Heather's shower yesterday! I appreciate all your hard work and expect lots of pictures!

I had to brush out my errant eyebrow again this morning with my finger, and I bumped my head on the shower wall throwing away a sliver of soap, making a red circle on my forehead.

Perfect start to a Monday, isn't it?

Speaking of soap and throwing away the slivers...

When I first visited Charlie's bachelor pad years ago - he had a 'soap pile' in the bathroom shower. He would save the various slivers of soap from his bars of soap and compress them into a 'soap stack'. He called it his 'pile-o-soap'.

I encouraged him to cease and desist. I don't like 'soap shale'.

Do you remember those little wire baskets that you could put soap slivers in and shake vigorously in the surface water of the sink to make suds?

I think we used those at school or girl scouts or the farm or camp or all of the above... Lyn or Marcia or Mom, do you remember?

Changing subjects to the weather...

We've started a warm up - it is TEN degrees this morning instead of nine, but we're headed to the low 40's today - yesterday it didn't get out of the 20's.

We're going out for Greek food tonight - looking forward to it!

TTFN and have a nice day!

Comments:
Good morning, Karen, sorry you bumped your head. I'm wondering what the shower was like. And I guess I remember the soap thingy, but not clearly. I use Dr. Bronner's soap, which is in a bottle! It sounds like you have to work today, Karen, is that so? It's a holiday here, except I have a MLK service to play.
 
What a nice start to a Monday! Yuck! I'm guilty of saving soap bits too. I'm so cheap. haha. I'm off to the market. Now that I'm home all day everyday, I need more food here! Once I'm home I'll go over my shower video for you! xoxoxo
 
Karen, I have about 50 soaps that I have received as gifts or taken from hotels. I never buy soap but I do use soap slivers -- must be my farm upbringing. Weird too since as you all know I am not frugal. By the way, what did Charlie do with the soap stack?
 
Nancy - your comment posted twice, so I deleted one of them.

Charlie used his soap stack just like a bar of soap - I imagine it was a little difficult to wash with.

Those little hotel soaps are excellent donations for shelters and for packages to the soldiers, etc.
 
I heard on the news that today is dubbed "blue Monday..." peak of seasonal affective disorder. Truly, I had a hard time getting out of 4th gear. The shower was a great way to get through this weekend. Maybe Heather should have a baby this time every year! Me, Gram and the Aunties, Uncle Steve and Ol'Grandad Gil had a lot of fun.
Speaking of soap bits, one of the last things I did, per protocol, before my guests arrived was to ditch the soap slivers I WOULD have used.
And yes, in a more frugal time, we had the wire baskets on a wire stick thing, kind of like a bottle brush, I'm picturing that you could swish. There was a time before Lux liquid soap for dishes when you had Napatha (sp?). I used it on the kids for poison ivy at the Cape because there was still some there!
 
Karen, Heather's shower was a huge success, befitting her temporary size! We all missed you greatly! Heather's Dad, Steve, seemed very proud! As to the soap slivers, I remember that Grammy Slattery had a wire basket that a cake of ivory soap fit into which she swished in a dishpan full of hot water to wash the dishes in. Funny I don't remember one at the farm, but then I don't remember what we washed the dishes with. (I'm ending these sentences with propositions!) Gil likes to keep the soap sliver and stick it to the new bar of soap, but I tire of trying to get it to stick and throw it away. I remember saying to Aunt Peggy once, quite a few years ago, upon viewing a soap sliver in her bathroom, "I guess it doesn't matter how much money one has, those old habits persist!" She seemed embarrassed by my remark and I wished I hadn't said it!
 
Whoops, I meant prepositions, not propositions!
 
Yeah Mom, remember 'My Dad, Steve'? Grammy always has such a funny way with explainations...haha!!!
And Lyn, BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha!!!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?