Friday, January 11, 2008

 

Day 691 - Friday and Birthday weekend!

Greetings, Bloggy Workin' for the Weekenders!

It's FRIDAY already! F-R-I-D-A-Y! You know what to do... march in a circle chanting 'Fri-day! Birth-day! Fri-day! Birth-day!'

We had severe thunderstorms and rain yesterday - some places got over 2 inches of rain. It was nearly 70 degrees. We had a tornado warning at work. The sirens went off in the town, and we all had to crowd into interior hallways until the danger was over.

No, there was not a tornado, just conditions that could have produced one.

YES, I brought my 'can't live without it' pocketbook with me. I waited in the hall, reading the tornado alert on my blackberry from the weather channel, and stupidly worried more about hail hitting my new car than a tornado hitting our building. Ha!

Speaking of yesterday...

It turns out that we have FOUR people on the team with ALMOST consecutive birthdays. One guy on the team had a birthday yesterday. We skip a day today, then three of us have our birthdays over the weekend or in my case, on Monday.

Another team member brought in a birthday cake for us all to share, and I brought some home for Charlie. He ate it as soon as he saw it - no 'waiting till after dinner' for this guy!

Speaking of birthday cake - what IS it that grocery store bakeries use for icing nowadays? It tastes more like shortening than sugar to me. Yuck.

Charlie is off to TWO boat shows today with another retiree. Two wild and crazy guys for sure!

I can hear it now - 'Hey, does this bass boat come with a senior discount, large print instructions, hand rails, and a storage bin for my medication?'

Just kidding! Just kidding!

TTFN and have a great weekend!

Comments:
Where does Charlie go boating in your area? Just curious... Lakes, rivers? What is it like where you live?
 
Hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was hilarious. Poor Charlie. If he gets to retire, he gets the jokes too. Only fair, right?
Hope you two have a great bday weekend! I'm off to the doctors...fun.
xoxoxo
 
I'm not really into the boating thing all that much. I have two small boats for fishing. Now my buddy TY has a big, powerful ski/bass boat that he uses on the Tennessee River. I go with him sometimes to fish and he and his wife take Karen and me for pleasure trips. TY and I are going the boat show just for fun (he's also retired).

And the jokes are fine! In fact, I like them. After all, I'm not going to work today; I'm going out with a buddy and having fun!

There are many, many small lakes and rivers around here for fishing; but in addition there are many very large reservoirs as a result of the TVA dams. In fact, the reservoirs are sometimes referred to as the "Great Lakes of the South." So there are plenty of opportunities for the water dog crowd.

You're probably tired of readin now, so I'll stop.
 
Enjoyed Charlie's description of boats and waterways, and Karen's teasing about the Boat Show! Glad you did not get a tornado, but glad you got 2" of rain. Why can't nature spread that rain out, like "rain drops keep falling on my head" rather than a deluge? Have a wonderful birthday weekend, Karen and Charlie! Heather, see you on the 20th! Hi Marcia, Nancy, and Lyn!
 
Thanks Charlie, I like to read about the lakes and the rivers and the reservoirs. Sounds very relaxing. Hey, maybe I should retire...

We have a little skiff with an 8. You should see some of the yachts that come to Nantucket!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?