Wednesday, December 26, 2007

 

Day 675 - Twas the day after Christmas!

Greetings, Bloggy Back to workers! Or - are you on vacation this week?

I wish I was on vacation this week, but I'm not. No use crying over spilt vacation hours.

Hey! My 18.5lb giant turkage was WONDERFUL. (Sorry, Heather) Thanks to my turkey roaster and digital temperature probe, it came out delicious, moist and juicy, and just fantabulous! Thank you, Butterball.

My apple/peach cobbler was yummy too. Hey - Charlie likes his ice cream on top of the cobbler, and I like my cobbler on top of the ice cream. Is that a problem?

Did I tell you that I went into Publix two days before Christmas (when I got $87 worth of last minute items) and they had restocked the fresh Butterball turkeys? They had PILES of them in the meat department. I wonder if it was too late to sell them by that time, I'd better go see if they go on clearance, even though I would have to put it in the freezer.

For post-turkey cleanup and freezing - I have been really enjoying one of my Xmas presents from Charlie. It's a Reynolds Handi-vac hand held vacuum sealer. You just vacuum out the air in the bags in a few seconds. No more freezer burn in MY house! Read about it if you want to - it works great and it is SIMPLE to use. I highly recommend it.

http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchens/handi_vac/en/home.asp

It is now time to diet. I am afraid of the scale - it is calling me like Marley's ghost calling Scrooge!

Lyn - I missed having Spanakopita at Christmas, that was the only thing I didn't have!

Gotta go to work! TTFN!

Comments:
Sorry you have to work today, Karen! Speaking of Scrooge's ghost, Marley, we watched Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol last night--remember the razelberry something-or-other? I think this is your video that you left with me. I bought the Alastair Sim's version of the Christmas Carol (on DVD)this year--very excellent. Glad your turkage and freezage are working out well! We had a great Christmas dinner and family time with Gil's daughter, husband and college-age daughters. Nina and Sunny gave me a Starbucks gift certificate--they know how much I love those peppermint-mocha lattes! I was pleased how well the cheesecake came out, thanks to Lyn who knows the recipe I have lost these many years ago. The mince meat pie was good too but not a favorite of many. Gil's Step-father, age 95, said "Oh, I haven't had this since I was a boy!"
 
I'm baaaaacckkk! sounds like you all had a great Christmas! Of course I have questions: Karen, did you have an 18.5 lb turkey just for two people? What were you doing in Alabama? Who wouldn't want to hug Charlie?
I sure do miss those chocolate covered cranberries!

I had a great time in San Diego with Eric and his "ex"? girlfriend. A bit chilly - 50 at night-but about 65 with glorious sun and blue blue sky in daytime--Highlight was trip to San Diego Zoo to see the pandas, where I saw mama and new baby twice, and dad and toddler (age 3) who were in a separate area getting nowhere near the attention of the baby. Another highlight was spending Christmas eve (1) shopping; (2) having fondue at a the restaurant where my son is the assistant manager and "comped" my meal; 3)"Midnight" mass at 10 pm -- absolutely gorgeous church and decorations--creche was fabulous -I'm not Catholic but hey, decorations, Christmas Carols and choir singing "O Holy Night" are beatuiful in any location.

Now to gross out Marcia--deer meat hamburgers are great! I don't like mincemeat pie though; ugh.
 
Hope you all had as great a Christmas as we did, minus certain excess amounts of fatigue...xo
 
Happy Day after Christmas! Sounds like everyone had a great day! Mamma, I bought a FRESH turkage today, so round two for the turkey-thon starts Saturday morning. Yum! This time it'll cook right for sure. Back to work tomorrow. :(
xo
 
Heather - good luck with your turkage! Does it have a popup timer? Did you get roasting bags? Hugs! xxx
 
Didn't come w/ a pop-up, but I bought a package of two, and no roasting bag..oops. Gonna have to clean the messy pan again. ;) I even bought cranberry sauce this time...THAT means it has to come out good. haha!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?