Thursday, December 20, 2007

 

Day 669 - And a partridge in a pear tree - or a kitty

Greetings, Bloggy Thirstin' for Thursdayers!

Isn't this an awesome picture?

Big news! I finally found my turkage, just in the nick of time! I am VERY happy.

I am now the proud mama of a big, bouncing, fresh Butterball turkey. And it was the ONLY fresh whole one they had left at the Publix store I visited yesterday (as you recall, another Publix store I went to didn't have any left at all).

Eighteen and a half pounds of turk-ish glory!

Now you'd think that an 18.5lb turkey would be a tad large for a household of TWO, wouldn't you? Not with a freezer, it isn't! I don't want to be cooking another one for 6 months.

I also bought a box of roasting bags for turkey. I opened the drawer that holds bags and wraps, and there was already an unopened box of turkey roasting bags in there. Oops. My bad.

Changing subjects...

I decided today that I hate my socks.

I have lots of socks, but I have only a couple of pair that I tolerate on my delicate, hate-to-wear-socks feet. It's going to rain later today, so I wanted to wear a particular pair of shoes that I prefer to wear WITH socks. Socks Sux.

Sigh.

Have a wonderful Thursday before Christmas! I think I'm done with my Christmas gift shopping, and will just need some odds and ends like cranberry sauce at the store. TTFN!

Comments:
You and Heather really get me with this Turkey thing! When you started to say you were the proud Mama...I thought you had a new kitten! For a split second I was so excited for you! Do you know that Charles and Corinne have 4 (count 'em) FOUR cats? I think one is still almost a kitten. I'll find out their names for you. They are funny. One was just a little stray kitten found in the city where Charles has his band space. $$$$ Spaying, shots, food, stuff so they never get fleas, kitty litter, BIG BUCKS for four cats.

Hey, I read an awesome quote from someone named Tommy C. from Dunmore PA. in the NYTimes yesterday that I'm just dying to share 'cause it is so clever. I hope you don't mind...

"The mortgage situation reminds me of the Wizard of Oz: The consumer needs a brain, the bankers need a heart, and the Fed needs the courage to regulate and enforce,,,but alas, as always, the man behind the curtain is making too much money,,,,the question is,,,,who's that man?"

I thought of you, Karen, when I read it, how you used to say in a loud voice "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!" Funny.
Guess it's not funny though for all the folks who made the bad decisions. Hard to say no when someone dangles a house in front of your face.
Sorry for rambling on, but maybe it's one reason people are so cross this holiday season.
 
I attempted to cook my turkage yesterday, but I think (despite it thawing in my fridge since SATURDAY) that it was still somewhat frozen because after several hours (nearly TWO longer than the instructions suggest for this size) it still was pink. I'd blame my oven, but it made me some yummy cookies the other night, so that's working fine. Dammit. So I ended up cutting the damn thing up and cooking it through spread out on cookie sheets. Dried it out as you'd guess, but in general it was pretty yummy in the end. Made potatos and had some tolerable canned gravy too. Still have stuff to buy for Xmas...errrrrrrrrr
 
Karen, I still keep up with you by reading your blog (which I thoroughly enjoy) and still miss you every day. Sounds like your life is good and I wish you and your family a very Blessed and Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year.

Much love,
Ronie
 
Yeah, enough of that turkey because it makes me hungry.

Lyn I have been reading a lot about the mortgage crisis--that was an excellent quote! For the past few years I have been so amazed that many people who make less than I do (some with kids, too!) were buying $500,000 - $600,000 homes, which I most certainly cannot afford. Now I know how and why.
I am conflicted because if they read the documents they would know what they could owe in the future, but also the mortgage people were so aggressive--"dangling the house" in front of people is right!

And don't get me started on all the seniors who are destitute, some on the street, because of 3-year delays in disability processing. We can't take care of our own people but can put billions into the war machine.

Enough--back to Karen's "feel good" blog which makes us smile every day.
 
Well gee - all those separate conversations are what make comments fun, aren't they?

Thanks for posting, and we'll get through both Christmas, kittens AND the mortgage crisis!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?