Monday, October 01, 2007

 

Day 588 - A-Quilting we will go...

Greetings, Bloggy Moan-dayers! (uh – except Charlie, who now LIKES Mondays).

Happy October! Time to take out my little ghost soap dish in the guest bathroom. My bats and jacks Halloween pretzels are still a hit at work.

Since I don’t have anything else to talk about – let’s talk about Quilts, shall we?

I have a few quilt stories.

When we were in Maine for our reunion retreat, another conference of Quilters was in session. I went to breakfast one morning in the dining hall, and happened to sit with the Coordinator of the quilters conference. The 'Quilt lady' ‘surveyed’ the cotton-with-pastel-print shirt I was wearing and remarked – that shirt would make a great quilt block! I said ‘Well, I’m USING IT right now but maybe you can have it when I’m finished with it!’

I mentioned this to Charlie, and he told me another ‘quilting’ story. His sister in law was having a yard sale. A woman was buying up all the dresses she had, no matter what size they were. She asked the woman (who was obviously too large for these dresses) if she needed to go inside to try them on. The woman laughed loudly and said ‘Why, honey, No! I’m not going to WEAR these dresses, I’m going to make quilts outta them!’

My last quilt story might be my imagination - back to the forgetful blog of yesterday! I *think* I gave Lyn a quilt calendar, and I *think* she used the pictures in the calendar to make a gift or thank you card for someone. Is that right, Lyn?

Have a nice Monday, everyone! TTFN!

Comments:
Hello, Karen!

Yes, that's right! I have made some very pretty cards. This week I sent one to Will, just a hello from NE, with some red and orange leaves that I had waxed, attached to the front of a section of one of those amazing quilts. It's design swirled like the wind. I wish I had a stack of those calendars.
Funny, for the first time EVER, I am in the planning stage of making a quilt, all hand sewn. AN EASY one, mind you. So, I was a bit amazed to see this page today. I thought - now how did she know?

You may remember how Steve won the Harley last year at the fair. That was a Special Olypics fundraiser raffle. Well, yesterday, he rode that Harley for a fundraiser for the children of some people who lost their lives in a fire. Again, he won the grand prize, a 700 dollar grill. Can you believe it? There were 5 stops along the way, 76 miles for 76 kids and each stop you get a poker card. His hand held 4 Kings!!! WOW.
Meanwhile, at home, I threw my back out. I had to hobble to the door to let him in. My life vs his. Wow.
Ok, you get to laugh there.

I love the story of the dresses. Answered a question I had about getting material for quilts too! How about that. Truly amazing, Karen.
 
What a great idea for cards! I wish I knew how to quilt...will have to add that to my 'to learn' list and google some instructions. I am old now, ya know. haha! Happy Monday!!!!!!!
xoxo
 
Hey Charlie - I've not visited the Blog in a while - retirement hey - those Deer had better watch out! Have a great time filling your time. Phil
 
Hi everyone! Gee, Lyn! How on earth did all this quilting stuff come up at the same time?? Eeek! Do you want me to save you any old clothes for quilts rather than give them to Goodwill? Tell me what you're looking for and I'll see if I have it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?