Tuesday, September 25, 2007

 

Day 582 - Add Pied Piper to my resume...

Greetings, Bloggy Twofers!

I ‘assisted’ with a baby shower yesterday at work.

SOMEHOW I ended up being responsible for the cake, and the decorations, and the paper goods. How did that happen?

I picked out a Noah’s Ark cake at Sams Club. Trust me, the finished product did NOT look very much like the gorgeous photo. The animals for example, were just animal picks… Lesson learned.

Anyway – I went to Sams yesterday at lunchtime to pick up the cake. I picked it up, paid for it, and got to the car with it before noticing it said ‘CongratulaTONS’ rather than ‘Congratulations’. Next time, I will not be responsible for the cake if I can’t be sure they won’t mess up the word ‘Congratulations’.

This was the biggest baby shower I have ever been to. I think there were 50 people there, and tons of gifts.

We started late, by the way. The person responsible for making the punch arrived after the shower had begun, and didn’t bring enough supplies. He had to buy more soda from the soda machine in the break room.

Another person arrived late and started assembling her appetizers after the guests had started eating. When did life change? Doesn’t a start time of 2:30 mean anything to anyone anymore?

One co-worker made an appearance at the shower. He got some food, poked me in the back with his finger, and took his plate back downstairs. He didn't speak to anyone. Too funny…

My favorite part of the shower was taking the leftover cake downstairs to the coffee station in our department.

I was the Pied Piper of Hamlin, and they responded to my music…

I crooned my best Siren song; ‘Free Cake – better hurry! Free Cake coming through!’ I had 4 hungry programmers behind me immediately, salivating over Free Cake. I heard the pitter patter of polished loafers from every direction, making a beeline for free cake.

My manager brought her son in, who just turned 4. They came by my desk after the shower. I gave him some little Halloween pretzels I had brought in. The pretzels are shaped like pumpkins and bats wings. He kept bending over and dropping his pretzels, until he had spilled them all. I gave him 2 fresh packages (unopened) to eat in the car, and sent them on their merry way.

Have a nice Tuesday, everyone!

Comments:
What a funny story! I love that everyone followed you for free cake. Sounds very much like my sugar hounds here. (ME included..haha) Have a good tuesday! xoxo
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?