Thursday, August 02, 2007

 

Day 528 - Thursday already!

Greetings, Bloggy Commuters!

It's Thursday already! I can't believe how this week is flying by.

Today's photo is of the 'harvest' on our dining room table - what abundance!

There's another batch of salsa sitting there and stewed tomatoes and salad tomatoes - that has to wait for the weekend.

Can you see the cantalope? Charlie GREW that - it's as big as a commercially grown melon!

We've already eaten one of them and it was delicious. The squash and cukes are about gone now, but the melons and tomatoes (obviously) are coming in by the bucketfull.

I had a hungering for winter vegetables, and stopped at the store (Kroger) to get some frozen mashed butternut squash (because I was too lazy to buy one and cook it and the last one I bought cost FIVE DOLLARS). Do you know that Kroger doesn't sell it frozen in those little squares? I know Publix has mashed squash and mashed turnip, I'll need to stop there.

Sheesh. So - does anyone but ME crave yellow vegetables all the time? I really do - must be some vitamin I need, because I crave turnip and parsnip and winter squash a lot.

Gotta go - have a nice Thursday!

Comments:
WOW!! I want those veggies!!!! YUM! Those are beautiful. And good job Charlie, the melon is enoromous! (that sounds odd...)
I don't crave those yellow veggies, you know how much I dislike squash and stuff like that. Other veggies I could eat all day everyday, but not those! Almost Friday...thank goodness!
xoxoxoxo
 
Hi Karen,

Thursday already! Wow, what I wouldn't give for one of those delicious tomatoes sun warmed right out of the garden. One of the best childhood memories I have is sampling the different vegetables from our father's garden about this time of year (when he was at work). I'd sneak through the rows and try this and that, really liking everything. Now I'm hoping he was an ORGANIC gardener.
I remember a giant tank of poison he sprayed on something, maybe roses.

Of course the best thing was the strawberry patch in early summer.
Sitting there eating strawberries in the sun was a punishable offense. Don't get caught!

I can't grow those good things here, I may have mentioned, the ferrel cat problem...leads to poor soil. Soiled soil.

Well that's enough outa me.
Tomorrow is that good ol Friday, right? Wrong! I have to work!

A day at a time. Peace!
 
I like the way people sound like the way they talk (Karen saying "Charlie GREW that!). And I like the memories of vegetables. The best homegrown vegetables I've ever had were the potatoes grown on the farm and the apples from a tree on the farm. Boy those potatoes were sweet. Lyn, I had forgottten about the pesticide container. I liked the garden in Dexter, Maine also, where the flowers were as tall as I was.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?