Thursday, June 21, 2007

 

Day 486 - Hi and Bye

Greetings, Bloggy Waiting-for-the-week-to-enders!


It's already after 6, so it'll be another short and sweet blog entry.

I have a complaint.

How much of a head of iceberg lettuce is really USABLE?

When you open it, you tear off about a quarter of it containing the core and those thick white pieces that are inedible.

Then you take off all the outer layers that are either wilted or contaminated.

Then you get a few layers (tearing off the inedible thick white pieces) of stuff for sandwiches.

Then, you may or may not be able to peel the center - it may be so compact that the best you can do is chop it fine and put it in a salad.

And I paid $1.29 for this?

The worst ones are those that develop funny little brown lines that give the lettuce varicose lettuce veins. I just throw those away.

I seem to use (vs. toss in the trash) a lot more of the romaine heart lettuces that I buy, except I cut off the very tops of the leaves that seem 'dry' to me.


That's my story and I'm sticking to it. TTFN!

Comments:
Iceberg IS a waste of money. Been buying the bagged stuff instead. As long as you use it quick, it's perfect! ;)
Love you Mamma! Happy 1st day of Summer!!!!!!!!
 
I used red leaf lettuce and spinach for a tossed salad to serve with boiled lobster this noon while two good friends from Attleboro, MA visited today, and fresh local strawberries (cut up, mixed with a little sugar) over vanilla ice cream for dessert. Very simple, very easy and very good!
 
Karen, she's doing that lobster thing just to make you cry.
 
Lobster - *sigh*!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?