Thursday, January 04, 2007

 

Day 318 - Cornbread Dressing - YUM-O!

Greetings, Bloggy Dieters! How about more FOOD?

(No! Not THAT!

My blog is responsible for eating binges across the galaxy).

We now interrupt this food blog for a Celebratory Message:

Happy Birthday to Tiff,
Happy Birthday to Tiff,
Happy Birthday, Dear Tiffany,
Happy Birthday to Tiff!
I have great affection for other folks who were also born in January. Capricorns ROCK!

Have a wonderful birthday, Tiff, and a wonderful 2007! Hugs!

We now return you to your food blog, already in progress...

Now that the holidays are over, we probably won't be cooking a turkey for a while, but you might be cooking poultry of some sort!

That said, while our buddy Joe was over for New Years, I asked him for his grandmama's recipe for cornbread dressing for 'da blog'.

New Englanders might never have HAD cornbread dressing, by the way...

When I was growing up, we always had bread stuffing, and it was always cooked in the bird. I have learned that if you want to control the calories of your stuffing, cook it out of the bird.

Please note - this recipe feeds a crowd, so adjust quantities or plan to freeze some!


Grandmama's Dressing

3 batches (skillets) cornbread
1 loaf toasted white bread
1 quart onions
1 quart celery
6 eggs - not beaten
1 stick butter, softened
Broth from 1 chicken
Drippings from roasting Turkey - save enough to also make gravy
Broth from cooking giblets - about 2 cups
Salt, Pepper
Milk - about a pint or more

Crumble corn bread and loaf bread
Add onions and celery and eggs
Mix cut butter in chunks and spread over bread mixture
Pour hot broth over mixture and Mix
Add salt and pepper and milk
Mix with hands until right consistency - add more milk if needed
Put into buttered casserole dishes

Bake at 400 about 40 minutes

Well, I'm hungry now, so that will about do it for today's blog.

BTW - Bragging rights - I fixed an issue at work yesterday that was no less than a bloody miracle, so today I feel SOOO relieved. TTFN!

Comments:
I love cornbread stuffing! You are right, New Englanders have been deprived of this wonderful dish. I was married to a Georgia boy years ago and when I first had cornbread stuffing (and black-eyed peas, ham gravy, etc. etc.) I thought I had died and went to heaven.

I do like stuffing from the turkey though, and calories be damned.
 
Happy Birthday Tiff!!! :)
That stuffing sounds yummy....and congrats on fixing your problem at work!
Nothing new today...TGTIF!! (the extra T is 'tomorrow' hehe)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?