Saturday, January 20, 2007

 

Day 334 - Post Cajun Blues - a.k.a. Heartburn

Greetings, Bloggy Gourmets!

Our visit last night to Papa Boudreauxs Cajun Cafe in Santa Fe, TN was a complete success.
Yes, this is really what it looks like - just a one room cinderblock 'house' with a horse in the back yard and a 4-wheeler in the front yard (hmmm - both conveyances if you think about it).
I didn't need a heartburn tablet until about 1:30am...

Here is their website if you want to peruse the menu or read about the musicians that play there.

http://www.papaboudreaux.com/

I'm not going to blog for long right now because I need to go swim before the pool gets busy. I'll write more later about what we ate and how it tasted.

I can say that I tried the gumbo, red beans 'n rice, etouffee, and chocolate bread pudding. Our friends had crawfish/shrimp bisque (to die for) and chicken/andouille (sp?) sausage over angel hair pasta that looked outstanding.


The portions were IMMENSE, I'll tell more about that later. Our tab came to about $20 per person, and I brought a bottle of wine (it is BYOB) for us to share. (Cajun cabernet sauvignon - not!)


Gotta swim off all the BREAD I soaked up the food with... TTFN!
It's 6:41pm and I'm back...
I want to tell a couple more things about Papa Boudreauxs Cajun Cafe... I ordered three 'appetizer' portions for my dinner, because I wanted to try several items, not just one.
The appetizer portions would have been a meal (in my opinion) if I could have had a side salad with one. Each appetizer was a large bowl-full (for around $5), and the meal portions were big enough for two people (around $13)
We ate about 4 baskets of freshly baked baguettes (free), and really didn't need any dessert, but we wanted the chocolate bread pudding! It wasn't exactly what I expected, as I am used to a bread pudding served hot, and not being chocolate! This was made up of baguette bits immersed in a deep chocolate pudding - very rich. It was served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top which offset the deep chocolate a bit.
So again, gumbo, bisque, red beans and rice, chicken and sausage - all outstanding. The etouffee wasn't quite as good, in our opinion. I didn't try the 'creole' appetizer (no room!). They also sell gumbo to go for $13 a quart. Made me want to make some gumbo myself - I do occasionally.
TTFN again!

Comments:
That sounded super yummy, although spicy foods make me sick...but they SOUND delicious! Glad you enjoyed your night! We had a fun bday party!
Have a good Sunday! Go Pats! :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?