Friday, January 19, 2007

 

Day 333 - Cajun, Here We Come!

Greetings, TGIF-ers!

It's Friday AGAIN! Do you think that might happen, er - once a week or so???

Charlie and I are going out with SY and TY to a 'backwoods' cajun place tonight - a little hole in the wall place in Santa Fe, TN (it's pronounced 'Santa Fee', by the way).

I'm going to leave work an hour early so we won't be too late, and can get a seat.

Make way for the red beans and rice, jambalaya and etouffee (and gumbo and crawfish etc. etc.).

In New Orleans, there are hotdog stands everywhere that are shaped like a hotdog, and say 'Lucky Dog' on them. If you don't have much money and can't afford the wonderful cajun food - you go there for some 'Lucky Dog etouffee' - which is just a hotdog. It's a JOKE.

On one trip to New Orleans, Charlie and I were on a Mississippi river cruise, and there was a cajun buffet dinner (not great, but acceptable).

The buffet server refused to put my etouffee on top of my jambalaya (where I had indicated I wanted it) - because it just isn't eaten that way. I let the server put it NEXT to the jambalaya, and I then I mixed it myself. Hey - some foods need to be over RICE, in my opinion.

And then there was a trip to New Orleans with 'da gals' from work - we hardly had cajun food unless you want to count Popeye's fried chicken (which I love dearly). I did get gumbo and a lot of pralines!

Quote of the Day: In America, I would say New York and New Orleans are the two most interesting food towns. In New Orleans, they don't have a bad deli. There's no mediocrity accepted. Mario Batali

Well, Mario (from the food channel - you know, 'Multo Mario'), mediocrity exists on all the tourist-throughput lunch and dinner cruisers, unfortunately! Don't know about now, after the hurricane and all.

GOTTA GO! Have a great Friday and a great weekend! Bayou-all! (Bye, you all!)

Comments:
As a lover of cajun food I beg to differ and agree with the waiter:

"Étouffée: A spicy and delicious Cajun stew traditionally made with crawfish, vegetables and a dark roux. Étouffée is usually served over rice. The word comes from the French étouffer, which means to smother."

Smothering plain rice is fine, but smothering spicy Jambalaya with spicy Étouffée doesn't make sense to me.

My favorite New Orleans food is beignets (excuse spelling).

Of course now I'm starving, per usual after reading your blog!
 
I like my food with salt and pepper, and a speck of garlic salt, which is what we had for lunch today (yes dinner at lunch time), breaded chicken breasts baked with aforementioned spices, baked potatoes and peas, cranberry sauce and homemade bread, and apple crisp for dessert. No cajun for these WASP intestines! Enjoy, Karen and Charlie!

Heather and Tony, so glad you enjoyed the chicken pie! Another example of the basic spices of salt and pepper!

We had 2 mornings below zero this week, then it warmed up to 20 degrees last night so it could snow an inch and a half. People are complaining that we haven't had a rip roaring snow storm!

Tonight we're going to neice, Debi's dance troupe's performance. This includes many many students in addition to the troupe. Looking forward to it!
 
Happy Friday Mamma!! have a nice time at dinner!! We're having a small bday party for Dad tomorrow, so I'll see Evan again for a bit! (I'll prob'ly be there most of the day since he needs more lessons on how to use his new computer! Poor thing! Haha)
Hope you all have a great weekend!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?