Wednesday, December 06, 2006

 

Day 289 - Wednesday Already!

Greetings, Bloggy Commuters!

It's Wednesday already - how does that happen so fast?

Happy Birthday to Katya today! Have a fun day!

This vintage photo is of my older sister's first Christmas. I wasn't born yet, otherwise I'd be in it too.

I never put tinsel on my tree, but it is a great memory from childhood - carefully PLACING each strand of tinsel on the selected branch - or getting bored with that process and strewing it in clumps like Johnny Appleseed. (Johnny Tinselseed?)

Also - how perfect tinsel looked in the package when it was new, but would get all wrinkled and manhandled by all of us kids en route to the tree. The tinsel in this picture looks like it's seen better days...

So - what do we have under the tree? Any good stuff? Pretty traditional gifts - a doll, a stuffed animal, tool box for Dad, a tie and a shirt (what else does anyone GET for Dad anyway?).

My mother used to pin notes to us from Santa Claus on our stockings. We loved it! We never in a million years would have thought to check her handwriting! Kids nowadays would figure it out I'll bet, and the pins would be a safety issue...

Gifts from Santa Claus in our house were never wrapped - that's how you knew they were from Santa!

What was IN the stockings? An orange in the toe, always. Mixed nuts in the shell. Candy, and if you were lucky some of those chocolate coins - I still love those. And of course a candy cane! The stockings you could empty early before Mom and Dad were up!

Well, it's time for me to run along... I'll be talking more about Christmas as the days go by. TTFN and have a nice Wednesday!

Comments:
Your description of the stocking made me think of Me & Evan at Christmas time...waking up early to grab our stockings, peek at the ENORMOUS amount of stuff under the tree (Sheesh Mom!!), and run back to our bedroom to dump out all the stocking goodies...It was one of the most exciting moments of the year...I can remember Evan mentioning to me that he wishes we could still sleep in the same room just for Xmas time...just for that FEELING...I agree!!!
Got all our Xmas dinner goodies (plus some extra goodies to eat on Sunday..Yay!) Can't wait!
xoxoxoxoxo
 
Aw, I loved reading that! I do love Christmas and have always loved giving you and Evan lots of presents! xxx-ooo
 
Since I grew up with your mother, those traditions were mine also. No one uses tinsel anymore but I did when Eric was younger but the cats wanted to play with it. It is a pain so I stopped.

I switched from an orange to tangerines but still add the walnuts. I forgot the candy cane but now remember we got those too.

We had very few gifts as there was little money but we didn't even know that at the time.

Your blog is making me feel very nostalgic, sad and happy at the same time.
 
Thanks, Nancy! I think ALL adults look back to their Christmastime memories with nostalgia - Christmas was exciting and wonderful and magical! We can't feel just that way as adults, unfortunately! But we TRY to relive the magic, which is why Disney World is so popular!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?