Wednesday, September 20, 2006

 

Day 212 - Wonton 'O Food at P.F. Changs

Greetings, Bloggy Gastronomicians!

Is that a word? Nope- I made it up. You 'gastronomic adventurers' out there can figure it out.

Well, if you've been reading my blog you already know how I love Wonton Soup.

You recall I have made my own wontons and have had wonton soup for breakfast many times when I was unemployed. *Sigh*

Well, I went to P.F. Changs yesterday with a group from work. http://www.pfchangs.com/ It was my first time there.

P.F. Changs is noted for a very upscale spin on Chinese food - they actually advertise they are a 'China Bistro', whatever that is.

I must say THEIR Wonton soup is AWESOME. Since I love Wonton soup, I didn't order the cup, I ordered the bowl. Well, the bowl of wonton soup (stupid me) is a family-sized tureen with a huge ladle and meant to share at the table. Oops.

The waiter carried several bowls and spoons over, looked at me and said 'How many people are having soup?'. I answered - 'ME'. The Wonton soup had broth and wontons like usual, it also had mushrooms, some real pieces of chicken and a couple of big shrimp floating around in there too. YUM!

I enjoyed two helpings of it at the restaurant, and Charlie and I had the rest with dinner last night.

The other dish I ordered was 'Vegetable Chow Fun'- which basically is noodles and vegetables.

I liked it, it had thin sliced wood ear mushrooms in it (Heather would like this!), water chestnuts, thin sliced 'other stuff', shitake mushrooms and flat noodles. It didn't have broccoli in it like the photo, but it looks close.

However, I should have ordered it non-spicy because it had too many red pepper flakes and chili oil in it for my Waspy taste.

I brought 3/4 of the Chow Fun home, put it in a colander and rinsed most of the oil and spices off it. I then added the noodles and vegetables dish to the remainder of my Wonton soup, added a can of chicken broth and a few of my homemade wontons, and Charlie and I each had a serving-bowl sized portion for our dinner! Worked out great! Charlie said it was still spicy enough to make his nose run, you just can't get all the spice out once it's in there.

Have a great Wednesday and enjoy your own 'Gastronomy Lessons'.

Comments:
About this won ton obsession Karen -- they are just OK! But talking about chili --your Aunt Natalie had a memorable experience with mandarin cuisine in SF and has never forgiven me for telling her to eat those little red things on her plate.
 
What I remember about the SF experience is that Natalie and I both ordered szechuan unknowingly and it was so spicy neither of us could eat our food!
 
Hey - if I lived in San Francisco and could go for Dim Sum, wonton's wouldn't thrill me so much either!
 
"Mom", how memories fade--I distinctly remember Natalie's plate being almost empty with those red thingies on them and I do not remember you not eating.

Dim sum -- I always pig out because I want to try everything. When David was young, King brought him over to visit me- David and I went to Chinatown to have Dim Sum and David ate a ton -- I was in law school at the time and that meal almost broke my piggy bank.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?