Tuesday, September 12, 2006

 

Day 204 - Nordic Lodge Seafood Buffet

Greetings, Bloggy Crustaceans!

Ok, humans are allowed to read, too.

I know I mentioned that we were going to the Nordic Lodge All-You-Can-Eat gourmet buffet when we were in Newport.

I haven't given you the run-down of what we ATE there though.

The Nordic Lodge is about a 45 minute drive from Newport, past the University of Rhode Island campus on Rt 138, then turn south onto Rt. 2 for a few miles.

The grounds are beautifully landscaped. It's on a lake, and the lounge area is 'lodge-like', complete with bearskin rugs and animal trophies on the walls.

When you enter, you go to the cash register and pay for your buffets up-front, then are seated in one of several adjacent rooms with tables that seat all different sized parties.

The price includes the buffet, non-alchoholic drinks, tax and tip, and $67.50 is well worth it.

There were 6 of us, so we were seated at a table for 8 and could spread out a bit. The buffet area is divided into a couple of sections. The middle section is the largest, and where we spent most of our time.

Along the back wall you line up to receive a steamed lobster and steamed littlenecks. There are also peel and eat shrimp, baked potatoes, and chowder. The center section consists of salads, breads, side items, baked stuffed shrimp, Alaskan King Crab, scallops wrapped in maple bacon, and a lot more food items that I've never bothered to try - I stick with what I know and love. ;-)

On the right hand side along the wall are desserts - an ice cream bar complete with toppings and fruits, a cake and pie bar, and miniature desserts including dark chocolate covered fruits, fresh fruit and whipped cream, tiny puff pastries, chocolate cups filled with mousse, etc.

A room to the left has deep fried items like clams, shrimp, and crab cakes, alongside a grill and carvery where you partake of filet mignon and prime rib. Don't forget the au jus!

I ate three lobsters (one at a time of course), scallops wrapped in bacon, a baked stuffed shrimp, littlenecks, Alaskan King Crab, prime rib, garlic bread, rice pilaf, and several small desserts including the chocolate mousse cups, a cream puff, fresh raspberries on tapioca pudding, strawberries dipped in chocolate, and chocolate covered cherries.

Charlie ate two lobsters before concentrating on crab. Charlie turned out to be the king of Alaskan King Crab that day - I must admit it gives lobster a run for the money - you get a lot of crab and it's pretty easy to get to it! I'm going to need to find some here in Nashville, I've heard of a couple places that serve it.

Goodness - it's 6:18 so I'd better go get ready for work. Are you hungry yet? TTFN!

Comments:
Yum, Karen, your description of our meal at Nordic Lodge is all coming back to me! Should I say I had only 1 lobster, 1 Alaskan crabmeat leg (I think that's the part I was eating!), filet minion (spelling?), and shrimp, boiled, fried, and other stuff including chocolate desserts. I did gain a pound!
 
I gained TWO. ;-)
 
Not bad! One and Two pounds for all that yumminess!!! My favorite meal of the year!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?