Monday, August 21, 2006

 

Day 182 - Who's Afraid of a Big, Bad, Label? ME, That's Who!

Greetings, Bloggy Package-Readers!

It’s a dark and Bloggy Monday! Pop Quiz - raise your hand if you're alive this morning. I am!

Let’s just talk about FOOD again, surprise surprise. Food Labeling, that is.

I got brave and took a chance last night, opening and cooking some fish I had bought frozen about a month ago.

I love fish – I prefer to buy it fresh or to freeze it myself from fresh, but I have had pretty good luck with frozen as well.

However, I almost brought this fish back to the store when I read the ingredients on the back of the box (I am sure you've read my photo above). Evidently this fish is ‘treated’ somehow with CARBON MONOXIDE to keep it’s color. What a horrible thought! If I had read that label AT the store I wouldn't have bought it at all.

The THOUGHT of it was bad, but the fish was delicious and I liked that each filet was individually wrapped inside the box. It really was just fine. But I confess, I was scared of the label, and researched and read a little bit about that carbon-monoxide business on the web as well.

The practice of using gas to preserve color in fish is banned in some places (including Canada), because it can make non-fresh fish LOOK fresh. Well, common sense tells me that my sense of smell and the texture of the fish will alert me to whether or not it’s any good. I didn’t worry after I had done the ‘sniff test’ on it. (Good schnoz-work, Karen!)

I've got a very busy next-few-days-at-work-before-my-vacation, but tonight Charlie and I (and another couple) are going out for dinner to Cracker Barrel, like we've been doing for several weeks now. I like Monday night!

So that's my Monday Blog - be safe and read those labels! TTFN!


Comments:
EEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!!! Yucky CO in da fish!!! I'm scared now! Well, glad it was yummy anyway.
'It's contaminated.'
xoxo
 
Well now I've heard it all--carbon monoxide used to make fish look fresh! Jeez! Well I'm glad you are packing Karen, and see you soon!
 
Hi Tiff! We eat a lot of fish, and mostly have it grilled with seasoned salt or lemon pepper, but I also roll it in corn flake crumbs and bake it (after spraying with Pam spray), and another great way to cook fish is to lay it on a roasting rack, spread a very thin coating of sour cream over the top (Just a spoonful, really!), then salt and pepper it, sprinkle with crumbs and bake at 400 degrees (don't know what that is C!).
 
Sorry! Yes, I always get the boneless filets, much easier and faster to the plate!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?