Sunday, August 13, 2006

 

Day 174 - All Veggies, Great and Small

Greetings, Blogregation!

Happy Sunday! The FOOD is HERE!

Today is my son Evan's birthday - Happy Birthday, Evan!

He doesn't read the blog but I would be remiss if I didn't say 'Happy Birthday'!

We had a great time yesterday. We got everything I was looking for and more in Amish country.

That haul totally filled up the trunk of my CRV. We didn't make it home with everything we started out with - Charlie ate a peach fried pie in the car and I ate two of the apples.

The final inventory and cost:

Corn on the cob - 6 dozen - $11.25
25lb box of tomatoes - $8.00
10 lbs red potatoes - $3.25
5 lbs golden apples - $3.00
Red/Yellow peppers - 4 for $1.00
Head of cabbage - 50 cents
Cantalope - $1.00
Watermelon - $3.00
Various cukes, red onions, and squash - .75/lb

I don't know if I've forgotten anything or not! Doesn't matter if so. Of course, when we got home, Charlie spent a long time outside in the shade shucking corn, and I spent the rest of the afternoon peeling and cutting and cooking and freezing some of this deliciousness.

Our lunch yesterday - 2 ears each corn on the cob, boiled new potatoes, sliced fresh tomato, and leftover pork tenderloin. YUM-O!

I'll be back and write more in a little while - gotta go enjoy my coffee and Baileys! ;-)

You might want to know about the 'Country Corn' preparation process. Another term for 'country corn' is 'fried corn'.

You want fresh, fresh, fresh corn, and the sweeter the better.

After the corn is shucked, I wash it in the sink. You'll never get off every silk, but you try your best.

Cover the table with newspaper.

I pile a bunch of washed ears of corn on a cookie sheet, then start the scraping process.

You cut the kernels off the ear, but you don't cut too deeply, so that some of the inside kernel and the 'corn milk' can be extracted by scraping with a serrated knife.

Your hands get gooey, the table gets gooey, your shirt gets gooey, and the floor gets gooey.

Cut, cut, cut, scrape, scrape, scrape. Repeat for dozens of ears.

When you have a frying pan full, fry it up with some water, butter (I skipped the butter), salt n pepper, and whatever other seasonings you may want.

Some people add sugar but I never have. When the kernels change color, they are ready to put into containers and freeze.

You can add a little water/flour paste when reheating the corn to thicken it slightly. Consume all winter long! I put up about 4 dozen ears which made 15 freezer containers of corn. It is sitting happily in the freezer to be eaten over the winter.

I may need to put up some of these tomatoes as well, but not yet - we'll see how many we eat and we've already given some to Charlie's daughter. She and Charlie went to the preseason Tennessee Titans game last night. (They lost, shucks).

I think that'll give you some 'food for thought' for the day! TTFN!

Comments:
So what does the fried corn taste like after you reheat it? Is it anything like creamed corn? And Charlie did "hep" with the corn just like he told the Amish girl he would!
I enjoyed the Amish stories from yesterday. I look forward to going there again one of these days!
If you were having coffee and Bailey's I hope it was AT NIGHT.
 
Hi Nancy! Nope - I like coffee and Baileys first thing in the morning on a weekend! ;-)
 
The corn tastes WONDERFUL, Nancy....best anywhere!!!!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?