Sunday, July 02, 2006

 

Day 132 - Grand State of Maine

Greetings, Blogregation!

It's early Sunday morning, and it's raining lightly. I hope it clears off, because today is our big family cookout at my Aunt and Uncle's camp down at the lake.

We'll cook hot dogs and hamburgers over a wood fire, and my mother made a gigantic potato salad last night and got the fixins for s'mores.

There'll probably be 60 people there, and it will be a lot more comfortable if we're not dodging raindrops. It has rained at some point each day that I've been here - even 'bluebird clear' sunny days will have a period of showers pass through.

That is unusual, but who can guess why weather does what it does. It's a mystery.

I've been meaning to mention that the newspaper here has stories that I just don't GET in Nashville.

For example, motorist accidents with MOOSE. Yes, it happens regularly here.

How about multiple ads for ice skates for sale? Nope, never seen it in a Nashville paper.

A local ice cream shop, proudly advertising PUMPKIN ice cream. Uh, not in July, thank you very much. Maybe I'd be willing to try it in October.

Speaking of ice cream products - have you wanted to try a 'fat free' type and thought they were all terrible? Try Edy's Black Cherry Vanilla Swirl Frozen Yogurt. It is fat free, it's GREAT and I'm going to buy some when I get home. It is light and fluffy and delicious.

Hey! It's time for a Quote of the Day! Let's do Ice Cream:
Do you know how many calories are in butter and cheese and ice cream? Would you get your dog up in the morning for a cup of coffee and a donut? Jack LaLanne

I think ol' Jack would have loved Edy's Fat Free Frozen Yogurt. ;-)

Reading the 'cup of coffee and a donut' quote reminds me to mention Dunkin Donuts, my favorite coffee shop chain in New England. I have only been there once this trip, buying my usual - a medium iced coffee with three sweet n lows. I need to go back there before Tuesday and pick up some ground coffee to bring back to Tennessee with me.

Well, I might as well finish this entry up by mentioning Italian Sandwiches. Do you know what those are?

Kudos to iStockPhoto for this perfect photo of a 'Ham Italian'.

In Maine, an Italian sandwich is kind of like a submarine sandwich, but made on a roll that is reminiscent of a footlong hot dog roll.

It contains a small amount of whichever meat you choose (I always get ham), and 'dressed' with cheese, long pickle slices (not round), green pepper, onions and tomatoes.

No lettuce, ever. A little oil and vinegar goes on the top, and there you have it - an Italian sandwich. YUM-O.

Heather - I know you're jealous that we went to have Sam's Italians yesterday while you were working! xxx

Well, I think this blog entry is fattening enough. Everyone will be wanting Sunday brunch after reading it. Think sunny thoughts and TTFN!

Comments:
I almost licked the computer screen when I saw that sandwich photo!! Looks exactly like Sam's sandwiches!! Ohhhh, I'd LOVE to have one of those right NOW!!! Mmmmmm...
Well, I've already talked to you today and know you're on your way soon to the cookout, so have a great time and give everyone hugs from us!
xoxoxo
 
Thanks, Heather! I took a lot of pictures for you! We just got back and it's almost 8:00! xxx-ooo
 
I loved the moose photo - one of my most favorite animals, and one that I most miss seeing on a regular basis. Used to see them every summer in Quebec and Ontario on family fishing trips, and then when we lived in Wyoming they because regular visitors. In fact the day we arrived at the ranch there was a big bull laying in the pasture right beside the road...!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?