Sunday, June 25, 2006

 

Day 125 - Let's Make a (Bad) Deal

Greetings, Blogregation!

We've all made some good deals in our lifetimes, and we've also likely made some rip-roaring bad ones. I just heard a good one this weekend, and have my own story to tell as well.

Someone on Charlie's side of the family had an old Honda that he was using just to drive back and forth to work. It was running worse and worse, and becoming an aggravation rather than a vehicle. You know how that can be with a car, I'm sure.

He took the Honda to a mechanic, who estimated $1200 in repair work to get it into shape again. Of course, the car wasn't worth that much money, so he just got rid of it to a junk dealer for $75. He recently received a phone call from the new owner of the vehicle, because although HE had signed the title over, his wife had not signed it.

It turns out the junk dealer sold the car to someone for $500 as a fixer-upper. Mr. Fixer-Upper fixed it, and sold it to the 'new owner' for $1000. The new owner said it was running great.

*Sigh* That hurts, doesn't it?

I owned a 4-Door-Color-White-Saturn before I bought my Honda-CRV-4-Door-Color-White.

When I was ready to sell it, I priced it at $5000, though I was willing to take $4000 for it. It was in like-new condition, although it had quite a few miles on it.

Long story short, a girl approached me at work about buying the car. She didn't have $5000, and didn't have $4000 either. She had just found out she was pregnant. She wasn't married, and had a minimal income. She had $3000 for a car set aside. We made an arrangement where she could take the car for $3000, and pay me the last $1000 over time as she had the money.

She wrote me a note thanking me, and the note said I had 'changed her life'. Feeling like I'd done a good thing was as far as it went though, because that $3000 was about all I got.

She was never able to come up with more than MAYBE $100 (I'm being generous) toward the $1000, and one of her checks bounced, and then she left the company. I did see her several years later with her young son. She never mentioned the car or the debt, and I didn't either.

*Sigh* That hurts, doesn't it?

And speaking of cars, I heard a joke the other day and promptly forgot the punchline.

You didn't have to admit that, Karen.

I actually GOOGLED it successfully and found the joke! Here it is...

A married couple is driving along the highway at 40mph, with the wife behind the wheel.
Her husband looks across at her and says,“Darling, I know we’ve been married 20 years, but I want a divorce.”
The wife says nothing but ups her speed to 50mph.
The husband continues, There's something else. I’ve been having an affair with your best friend.”
Again the wife stays quiet, but grips the steering wheel tighter and increases her speed to 60mph.
He pushes it. I want the house,” he says, and the car reaches 65mph.
I want the car too,” he continues. 70mph.
And,” he says, “I’ll have the bank accounts, the dog and the boat.”
The car continues speeding up and veers towards a concrete wall.
This makes him a bit nervous, so he asks, “Isn’t there anything you want?”
The wife replies,“No, I’ve got everything I need.”
“Oh,” the man says,“And what is it you’ve got?”
The wife wrenches the car towards the wall at 90mph and says, “I HAVE THE AIRBAG.”

(play canned audience laughter soundclip from sitcoms)

Well, that's enough for today, my wallet is starting to hurt... ;-)

Charlie is off fishing this morning and I'm going to go swim (of course!).

TTFN and have a nice Sunday, because it's back to work tomorrow! (not for me)

Comments:
It's raining like crazy again today and Grammy should be getting here soon. Not much else to do on this yucky day! Tony liked the story and the joke! Oh, and the ROOF is leaking, Tony just announced. Ugh...
gotta go look
 
I just can't believe the rain there! Our barn has leakage too.
xxx
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?