Sunday, June 04, 2006

 

Day 104 - Watermelon, Anyone?

Greetings, Blogregation! It's Sunday!

I'm going to make this short and maybe write more later.

I've got 'places to go and things to do' today.

First though, I wanted to share with you this 'little snack' that Charlie got for himself from the fridge...

Yes, that is a full sized dinner plate, so that wedge of seedless watermelon probably weighed a pound. ;-)

Go for it, Charlie! I am crazy about watermelon, but only if it's a 'good one'. I hate to go spend 5 or 6 dollars on a bland or mushy watermelon. Grrrrrr...

When I buy a watermelon, I take it apart, cut it into pieces, and store it in plastic containers. This one watermelon made four GALLON containers.

So, Karen, give us your sage advice... What technique do you use to choose a good watermelon?

FIRST - Live in the South. Watermelons and other types of melons are better here.
SECOND - Find the spot where the watermelon touched the ground. It should be yellow, not white.
THIRD - If there are multiple melons with a yellow spot, I also knock on them to find the one that sounds hollow.
FOURTH - I have better luck with the traditional oval shaped seedless or seeded melons vs. the bowling-ball shaped melons.

That's about it for choosing melons.

I watched the Food Network the other day and Alton Brown was dissecting a large watermelon.

He cut off both ends - like you would do with an orange or a squash or something like that.

He then STOOD THE MELON UP on a cutting board on one of those ends, and took out an electric carving knife.

He used the electric carving knife to cut off the entire peel in long sections, leaving one solid mass of melon-deliciousness that you can cut up into whatever shapes you want.

I think that's a great idea, for any sort of melon but especially for seedless.

And that, my friends, is it for now.

Go out, enjoy the nice weather, and have some watermelon for me!

By the way - the first time I published this entry I didn't even spell 'Day 104' right. Oops. TTFN!

Update at 10:03 - I forgot to tell a few things...

I just got out of the shower after using my 'Lucky Soft brand kiddie tears free watermelon-scented foam soap'. Aren't you jealous?

One of my very elderly pool-buddies bought a watermelon this week. She is a hoot and usually launches into a lengthy discussion of whatever is 'hurting' that day when she sees me, as well as describing in detail her cat's daily antics.

Number one- she hurt her back a bit carrying the watermelon. She told me that one of her friends said she should have put it in a garbage bag and dragged it. She told me it weighed 60 pounds, which I am very skeptical about. ;-)

Number two - she ate so much watermelon it elevated her blood sugar. She told me she shouldn't do that but she did the same thing the last time she bought one. ;-)

Last comment - I've just finished picking up THREE notes that Charlie left me in different spots around the house reminding me that I need to get online to Unemployment today. YES I did it. Thanks, Charlie! Love you bye!




Comments:
Happy Sunday! Thanx for the anniversary ecard! One year..shesh...goes by too fast. Someone else will be having an anniversary coming up soon too!!!
xoxoxo
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?