Thursday, May 25, 2006

 

Day 94 - Idol Finale or Marketing Spectacle?

Greetings, Bloggy Bards and Bloggy Minstrels!

Just skip today's blog if you don't watch American Idol.

Well, the silver HAIR vs. the silver TONGUE won out last night.

Charlie and I watched the two-hour finale show, though Charlie was also occupied with Sudoku puzzles and I had a few phone calls.

It was quite different from other American Idol finales - it seemed to me that the rest of the music industry wanted to get a piece of the American Idol viewership too.

I have nothing against Taylor - after all, he won. He has cute little moves that imitate Ray Charles and Joe Cocker, and he seems down to earth and a good guy.

I just don't think he has the most talent, and the show is supposed to be a singing competition.

But 63 million votes were turned in, and I haven't ever voted, so I can't complain, unless I want to, because it's MY blog. ;-)

Interruption - Charlie came in to say goodbye, and I forgot to make Charlie's lunch! He took some cookies with him and went on to WORK. Oops. Sorry about that, Charlie!

Now back to comments about the finale show:

Carrie Underwood looked and sounded wonderful.

Was it really necessary to have Kellie Pickler gagging on national television?

They used an 'Idol Award' format to bring back some of the more outrageous rejects to the stage, and a few popular-but-long-gone contestants like the young cowboy (I wonder if they're going to put him on the tour?)

The Clay Aiken wanna-be guy almost had a heart attack when Clay Aiken came out and sang.

He was shaking like a leaf, but tried to sing anyway- unnecessarily. Ryan Seacrest had to get him a chair and sit him down in it before he fell down.

And what have they done to my Clay Aiken, who I saw perform here in Nashville? I saw a comment on the web that he 'looked like a giant Swiffer' (which is a mop for our UK readers).

They've turned him into a smooth, sophisticated, confident, rather British-looking pop star who is in desperate need of a haircut.

They had several finalists sing with a favorite group or performer (maybe in some cases whoever they could get?)

My man Elliott backed off and let the control pass to Mary J. Blige, who effortlessly dominated the stage but was dressed like Elton John. ;-)

Chris's duet with the band 'Live' was pretty funny, as he and the lead singer looked so much alike.

Meatloaf was awful - he should have stayed off the stage.

They had Prince (or the artist formerly known as Prince) perform - for way too long. I think Paula Abdul wishes she looked as good as Prince at his age.

The 'I've had the time of my life' duet between Taylor and Katherine was terrible.

Ace sounded better than Toni Braxton, and his voice was higher, too. Poor Ace. ;-)

Ah well, that ends another season of American Idol.

I hope ALL of the top contestants have long and successful careers (especially Elliott, Princess P, and Mandisa).

TTFN!


Comments:
Poor Charlie - off to work with no lunch :(
 
Cookies for lunch? Pool Charlie...
 
That was a GREAT show last night!! You know that I LOVE Taylor and am very glad that he won. I think that people were interested in a different sound this year...he had that. Katherine, albeit great, sounds just like everyone else!!! I also think that Clay looked HOT with his new hair and style. I agree that Meatloaf was just terrible. The worst act next to Toni who was too busy posing and pursing her lips to pay attention to singing. (and trying to 'grind' with Taylor...did you see him pull away and embarrass her?? GREAT!!!) Well, I could oogle on and on, but I won't.
xoxoxo
 
Just cookies for lunch? *ACK*
Hopefully he will make it...
 
Sorry Charlie... not even a Tuna Sandwich?
 
Thanks for all the sympathetic comments. Somehow I will muddle through the day. *LOL**
 
hmmm, what's the big deal, I often have only cookies for lunch (chocolate, of course).
 
I'm laughing at all of the sympathy for Charlie! "Let them eat cake" (or is it cookies?) Poor Charlie!

I too wish Katharine had won! I didn't even recognize Clay Aiken. I have read about Mary J. Blige but can't remember actually hearing her sing. She totally overpowered Elliott--too bad! What a voice tho! Of course we were trying to also watch the Red Sox/Yankees game--we lost 8-6, bummer!
 
If I ever forget Charlie's lunch again, I guess I WON'T SAY ANYTHING!!!!!
 
This means that Charlie is OUR American Idol--
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?