Sunday, April 30, 2006

 

Day 69 - East Meets West, Nest is Best!

Greetings, Blogregation! It's Sunday!

Another day of 'rest in the nest', then back to WORK tomorrow.

As you recall, yesterday was yard-work-day.

I found 2 bird nests inside shrubs during my trimming exercises. One of them is in the photo you see here.

Both nests were empty, but there was a little finch nearby who I think was waiting to get back into one of them.

Here is a photo of the shrub that had the nest you see above inside it, BEFORE I gave it a haircut.

Looks like a big ball of shrub, doesn't it? No way you'd see a nest in there.

I need to thank Charlie, by the way, for all the work HE does when I trim shrubs.

He does the 'cleaning up and hauling away' of all the piles of debris I create during the process.

Thanks, Charlie!

Oh, by the way - we saw a lot of boy scouts while we were outdoors - they were running some kind of compass course and gps course exercise through the nearby fields. Some of them ended up in our field for a while (even though they had to climb a fence to do it) but no problem.

Charlie spoke to a few of them and casually remarked that there were alligators in the creek, and that they should be careful and make a lot of noise while they walked around. I don't think they bought it. ;-)

It rained yesterday afternoon, and I don't know if they were camped out there last night or whether they packed up and moved out before the rain arrived. My brother went camping once with the scouts in the spring and it SNOWED while they were out there. Brrrr....

Charlie has the garden planted, by the way, and here's a photo of it.

There'll be tomatoes, green peppers, three kinds of beans, two kinds of squash, cucumbers, cantalope, and watermelon. Mmmmmm....

Reminder - something ate the beets and the sugar snap peas. ;-)

There are also blackberry vines, blueberry bushes, and strawberries.

We get our corn from an Amish community about an hour away from us. It is so good there is no need for us to grow our own!

One more 'nesting' story before I finish up for the day...

Do you remember my blog about men not liking to nest tupperware and pots and pans? Well, here is what happened this morning...

I started to make breakfast. What was today's menu, Karen? I had huevos rancheros, and Charlie had french toast and bacon (with maple syrup from Maine that my mother gave us - thanks, Mom!)

I got out the griddle from the cabinet, and noticed one of the frying pans sitting on top of the stew pot. Hmmmm... the frying pans go in the drawer under the stove. I thought that was odd, but didn't really think much of it. I needed to use that frying pan and the griddle so I grabbed it.

After breakfast, I unloaded the dishwasher and had another frying pan to put away. Upon opening the drawer under the stove, I found a casserole dish in the frying pan position, instead of being nested with the other casserole dishes.

The light went on. THAT was why someone put a frying pan in the stew pot. Someone had put a casserole dish where the frying pan goes, effectively blocking anything else from going in there until the casserole dish was nested with the other casseroles.

Mystery solved, and now you know the rest of the story about why NESTING became the subject of my blog today!

Have a nice Sunday, everyone!

By the way - Belated Birthday wishes to my sister, and Happy Birthday to Tracey!

Comments:
Hi Mamma,
We have quite a few nests in our bushes too, and one with eggs in the grape vines (vines that would have met their demise yesterday if it hadn't been for the babies in there!)
The guys are here wiring up the septic system..the final step before inspection time. Everything else has been loamed and hydroseeded..looks like a nice, sea-foam green lump in our backyard. Pretty. :)
Almost done, though!! Yahoo!!!
Happy Sunday:)
 
Glad to learn that the little eggs saved the grape arbor!
Way to go birdies! Fantastic update on the septic system, that is really going to be finished!

Karen I added a comment to yesterday's blog!
 
I'm tellin' ya - if you ever had sweet corn that was boiled within an hour of being picked, you'll never think the amish stuff was that good again....
 
Heather - great news! Mom, thanks for the comments! Joe, thanks for your comments. I have had plenty of freshly picked corn and the Amish corn is the BEST. If you've only had it out of the freezer here vs. fresh, that might make a difference. So there. ;-)
 
Charlie's reply - 'Wait'll you see what comes up!' Actually, the bricks are markers. ;-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?