Monday, April 17, 2006

 

Day 56 - The Travellin' Show

Greetings, Bloggers Great and Small...

I hope you all had a nice holiday weekend. I believe the UK folks have today off from WORK as well. I hope you can stand it if I don't put a picture on the blog this morning, maybe I'll do that later today.

I am still digesting Easter Dinner, by the way. Any intended or hoped for caloric conservation measures were blown out the window by holiday indulgence. My sister went all out, I will tell you! She and her husband hosted 14 of us, many of us staying all day and into the evening. An excellent time and a delicious meal.

What did you have, you ask?

You KNEW I was going to tell you, didn't you? A reminder - you know there are vegetarians in the family when you see the words TOFU and VEGAN.

Munchie food was available before dinner, including cheese and crackers, chips, etc.
My nephew made small savory tarts in pie shells made with vegetables and fruit over sweetened tofu custard.
Ham.
Quiche Lorraine.
Ambrosia salad (the kind with mini marshmallows and pineapple).
Spinach salad with fresh strawberries.
Garden salad.
Sweet Potato casserole.
Mashed Russet potatoes.
Baby Peas.
Asparagus spears with melted parmesan.
Dinner rolls.
Homemade braided sweet bread. (be still, my heart)
Lemon Burst cake.
Chocolate Torte.
Italian Rice Pie.
Vegan oatmeal raisin torte.
Cupcakes.
Ice Cream.

This afternoon (if I can move) I'll fly back to Nashville, get picked up by the Park and Fly shuttle, and drive home. Charlie and I should get home about the same time. ;-)

Since I'm travelling again today, I thought I'd write down a few of my favorite travel horror stories as I remember them...

You might never want to travel again after reading them, but I hope you don't feel that way! I love to travel, and most of my trips are fantabulous.

One newlywed I worked with went to an exotic island for her honeymoon. The first day, she got so badly sunburned she was UNTOUCHABLE for the rest of her HONEYMOON trip.

Another newlywed I worked with arrived at her honeymoon destination with no luggage, and they NEVER FOUND IT. She wore her husbands boxer shorts to the pool the first day and had to buy new clothes for the rest of the trip.

A friend of mine was to be married in Ireland, then go to Greece. Her luggage was rifled by thieves who stole all the wedding finery and jewelry packed in the suitcases. (A reminder to travelers, put jewelry in carryons only. Better yet, just leave it at home)

Another friend who lives in Hawaii came to stay with me at Christmastime, bringing gifts for her friends and family. She never saw her luggage again. One tidbit about that event- as we stood at the airport to fill out lost luggage forms, a famous heavy metal rock band had also lost their luggage on that flight and were very nice to us. I can't remember their names - I'll have to ask my daughter.

Charlie and I went snorkeling in St. John, Virgin Islands. A man (a very nice, honest man) swimming near us remarked 'Hey - is that YOUR money floating away?' Yes, it was. Charlie hadn't taken his wallet out of the pocket of his swim shorts and it floated away, spilling the contents. Thankfully we recovered it.

My friend and her husband visited St. Lucia. Their trip included sand flea bite poisoning and flat tires on the treacherous hilly roadsides.

My friend and her husband (same friend, same husband) went skiing in Colorado. He got altitude sickness and had to be treated at a medical clinic. While they were there, there was a hit and run on their rental car due to the snow.

My friend and her husband (same friend, same husband) went skiing in Tahoe. They had rented a special vehicle so they wouldn't have trouble driving in snow. However, they had another car accident in their rental car due to a chain reaction caused by another tourist who didn't have a snow-worthy car and couldn't control their vehicle.

Charlie and I met a young guy in Aruba, where we had a WONDERFUL vacation. This guy had gone to Aruba with a couple of girls he knew, neither of them his girlfriend. He was sleeping on the floor, (as the girls had claimed the two beds) and complained to us that 'All they want to do is lie around at the pool. I want to do things.' He had improvised a cooler for himself by putting ice in his hotel wastebasket (eeeew!) and living on bologna sandwiches to save money. We surely felt sorry for the guy. We saw him again a couple days later as we toured the island in an air conditional rental car. He was sporting a huge sunburn and riding around the island on a rented scooter.

Also in Aruba - I didn't know how to buy hamburger by the kilogram. I just held out my hands cupped together to indicate how much I wanted. ;-)

Also in Aruba - one of our cab drivers described visiting his cousin in Cuba for vacation. He said - 'They have no FOOD there, only beans and rice. I like BIG meat, BIG chicken. I'll never go there again'.

Our buddy Joe went to Dublin, Ireland with family members. A nice old man, passing them on the sidewalk, said 'Get the f*** out of me way!'. Also in Dublin, an old lady tried to pick their pockets. Remind me never to go there.

Well, there are a lot more travel stories I could tell, but I need to go shower and pack!

Have a nice Monday, everybody! TTFN!

Update at 4:11pm.

I am back home already! I had a smooth flight and missed the rush hour traffic. My baggage was searched at the airport when I checked in because the security folks didn't like the shape of the maple syrup jug my mother sent with me for Charlie.

Parking fee from Thursday through Monday, baggage handling and door-to-door delivery service - $36.

Charlie is outside mowing but stopped for a few minutes to welcome me home (translate that into 'grin, greet and grope').

A few additions to the stories above -

I didn't mention that one of my sisters brought and cooked her own fish (cod) on the grill outside and had that for her entree. I didn't include it on my list because it was a 'food for one' dish. ;-)

An addition to the story about St. Lucia, sand fleas and horrible roads... I was reminded that when the couple landed in St. Lucia and got their luggage, 'hubby' accidently took someone else's bag instead of their own to the resort from the airport. They were staying TWO HOURS away (by bad roads) and had to drive the luggage back to the airport again. Yuck.

The rock band we met at the airport who had lost their luggage was 'Guns and Roses'.

I'm going to go start unpacking now! TTFN!

Comments:
Wait, go back to the part about the new bride who lost her luggage and had to wear her husband's boxers to the pool: is that all she wore? Was that someone I know?
 
Which nephew cooks?
 
Christopher Cooked!!
 
Ross - ahem. Noone you know, and it was my understanding she wore a T-shirt and boxers. ;-) By the way - at the hotel where I swim a girl recently went swimming in a T-shirt and miniskirt. Go figure.
 
You can be assured, Mom, that Ross will be swimming with you from now on. ;)
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Gotta clean up some bloggy spam left here...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?