Sunday, April 16, 2006

 

Day 55 - Happy Easter! (Part II)

Happy Easter, Blogregation!

For the first time, I actually posted my first Easter blog entry the night before. I am at my sisters house now after church, so I am redoing it to get the date right.

I got picked up this morning at 6:45am (ouch!), so didn't have time in the morning to write my blog.

I wandered around with eyes closed and arms outstretched until they drove me to Dunkin Donuts, where I had an iced coffee and an egg and cheese English muffin sandwich for breakfast before church.

Here are a few random Easter memories I want to share with you… These aren't in any particular order.

When I was young, getting new Easter clothes and new patent leather shoes was wonderful. It just FELT nice to know you were all dressed up. (Charlie would call that being 'prissy'.)

Sometimes we'd even get white hats with a velvet ribbon around the brim, and tiny white gloves. Does anyone do that anymore?

Be sure to check out the picture of my sister in Easter Part I, all decked out in her Easter regalia. (Blogger wasn't cooperating uploading the picture to this entry).

Some years, we’d get the new Easter clothes and patent leather shoes, then it would SNOW and we’d traipse off to the church freezing to death and planning to pray harder for SPRING.

By the time I was 10 I would lie, cheat or steal to have THAT Easter outfit or THOSE shoes. Didn’t even matter if it didn’t FIT right (or at all) – THAT was IT.

I got an ultra-cool (or so I thought) Native American style fake suede vest and boots once. I *might* have worn it once, it barely fit when it was purchased!

I had the cutest blue patent leather shoes one year. Too bad that they were too small and hurt my delicate little tootsies.

My sister had a tantrum over white go-go boots that she just HAD to HAVE. She got them. I just can't remember if they were for Easter or Christmas.

I loved receiving pansies at church. Just the children got the pansies. You got to take home your own little flowering plant, and they (ours anyway) always died. I didn’t take it personally. Resurrection and all that.

My mother tells me we asked not to have lamb anymore for Easter because we couldn’t stand the thought of the little lambs on our plates. (I didn’t remember that!) By the way – if you have been around any live ones, they do smell like lamb.

We have had Easter dinner at many different houses: Grandparents, aunts, siblings, and HOME. After we stopped having lamb, we usually had ham, and sometimes 2 meats like ham and a turkey.

A 'pattern of variety' for holiday entertaining would include Turkey for Thanksgiving, Roast beef for Christmas, and Ham for Easter. Makes sense to me!

My grandmother would make beautiful little lamb cakes with boiled icing and coconut fur. They were very special! Eastertime was when ‘The Wizard of Oz’ was annually broadcast on television. That movie is a delicious mix of music, fantasy and absolute terror. (You remember when the wicked witch was commanding the monkey’s to ‘Fly! Fly!’ I’ll never get over it.)

Did I tell you I played ‘Dorothy’ in the second grade production of ‘Wizard of Oz’, and my picture was in the newspaper? That play was both the beginning and ending of my illustrious acting career.

My mother made me sing ‘Over the Rainbow’ for company for YEARS afterward until I rebelled. I am still rebelling.

I like to make Easter egg trees. You blow out and decorate the eggs like usual, but then you hang them on a branch that is inside a vase. I have seen people hang Easter Eggs on trees outdoors as well.

My nephew called eggs 'Eggies' when he was little. Our entire family has called them 'Eggies' ever since.

I revealed ‘the truth’ about the Easter Bunny to my children by accident. They knew but it had never been spoken aloud. We were shopping in Kmart and there was a huge display of filled Easter baskets. I made an offhand comment like ‘Hmmm… I think I bought you that one last year’, and my daughter, shocked but not shocked, said ‘Mom! Do you realize what you just SAID?’ Yep. I spilled the beans. Oops. Demerit in the parent column.

They do a lot more Easter egg hunts in the South. That’s because you can SEE the ground there. In New England, there’s too much snow and you might end up with both Easter eggs AND frostbite at no extra charge.

Whatever your Easter is like - have a nice one! Love You Bye!

Comments:
It's okay, Mom. When we asked Dad about Santa, he said 'yeah, he's real..he lives in my back pocket with his two elves, Mastercard and Visa.' There went that one too...I think your's was MUCH less painful!
:)
 
Heather, I am here laughing, just imagining Steve saying that. How old were you when you received the shocking news?
 
I can't remember...Only the lovely comment while standing outside (My own house? Someone elses?) Old enough to ask so there was already some doubt there. How old are you when that happens? 10?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?