Wednesday, April 12, 2006

 

Day 51 - Batter Batter Batter, S-wing Batter!

Greetings, sports fans!

Ah, the roar of the crowd! The sights, sounds and smells of the ballpark! Yesterday was 'Home opener' day at Fenway Park in Boston.

The 'Green Monster' beckons.

My son was there - ticket price $125 a seat. Ouch. He sent me these pictures from his cell phone. Good thing someone in the family is working...

It was the Sox's 95th season opener and the Red Sox won against Toronto.

I have some huge Red Sox fans in the family, including 'Mom' and 'Aunt Nancy'. I also have a few Yankee fans in the family. That is interesting, to say the least.

Mom and Nancy even went to the celebration parade in Boston when the Sox won the World Series. I would have avoided it like the plague. ;-) But that's not what FANS do!

Charlie and I have been to a Sox game at Fenway Park. We took the train to Boston and had a really nice day.

A 'really nice day' at the ball park means you had fun, you spent too much money, and nothing too bad happened to wreck the event.

There were some 'rowdies' sitting behind us who we wished would turn their volume down. They spilled beer on us, swore alot, hollered during the national anthem, etc. A typical day at Fenway Park.

What Charlie recalls about that game was someone yelling 'POCKET! POCKET!' over and over. He asked me what that meant. I replied - 'He's not saying pocket - he's saying PARK IT - Hit it out of the park! It's just the accent thing.' Then he understood.

We had more fun going to Paw Sox games (the Red Sox farm team - Pawtucket Red Sox). We've always enjoyed those games, and it's a fun time at a low price. Now you're talkin' my language. CHEAP and FUN.

Speaking of Boston in general...

Charlie and I went on a whale watch trip out of Boston's Fishermans Wharf. The weather was bad, and I got sick as a dog. 'Nuff said about that trip, but I did get to see the whales!

I used to work outside of Boston in Randolph, MA. Some co-workers and I would go downtown sometimes for nightlife, baseball, etc. I even went to a wrestling match at the Boston Garden. I wasn't impressed. I saw concerts including 'Billy Idol' and 'Bonnie Raitt'. I went to 'First Night' - New Years eve celebrations more than once. It was always freezing.

Whenever I went to Boston with a particular co-worker, something bad would happen. My buddy J.N. and I were walking down the street in Boston. A car went by and threw beer on us. WHY? Waste of good beer if you ask me. Another time J.N. avoided parking in a pay lot and found a parking spot off the beaten path. When we got back to his car, his battery was gone. The moral of the story is - PAY TO PARK.

I worked IN Boston for 6 months near Chinatown. I took the train in every day. You get to know the conductors by the design on their metal punch that they use to punch your train ticket. Each conductor has his own punch that he receives when he gets his job. At one time, conductors could request their punch mark, but now they are assigned at random.

Anyway, I'd sit with the same crew every day and we'd chat and drink coffee on the hour long train ride. Then I'd walk from the train station to where I was working downtown. When I left work, I'd walk to the train station, get on my train, and I could snooze till the end of the line which was my stop. Not a bad way to commute.

Well, I'd better get this posted because it's getting close to 7am.

Job Hunt Update - I have sent out TWO resumes in TWO days. This sounds serious!

Have a nice Wednesday, everyone!

7am - I forgot one baseball related item...

I enjoy the pitching of Randy Johnson, who went to pitch for the Yankees last year (shame shame). However, ol' Randy is SO NOT eye candy. As a matter of fact, I can hardly stand to watch him on the big screen TV. Too many closeups.

You see, some women watch sports just to see cute guys like Derek Jeter. Randy Johnson does NOT do it for me. NOT. AT. ALL. I am fascinated but horrified. Steve Buscemi has the same effect.

So Charlie went out of town one weekend. I went into the darkened bedroom at bedtime and turned on the light. Charlie had papered the bed with 8x10's of AWFUL Randy Johnson photos before he left. Thanks, Charlie. Way to go. Appreciate the thought. XXX

Comments:
I think the 8X10's on the bed is one of my favorite stories...I can't believe that I may actually be able to see the BLOG IN THE MAKING in a couple days!!! (If I wake up early enough, that is...)
 
You're right! I don't see why I won't be able to keep blogging on your computer while I'm visiting, if you LET me! ;-)
 
Of course I will let you..the blog MUST go on!!!! I'll just lock Clyde in MY room while you're blogging away :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?