Sunday, March 19, 2006

 

Day 27 - Faster than a speeding...claymation character.

Greetings, blogregation! Please be seated.

To continue with memories of shows from my childhood, Sunday was 'Davey and Goliath' day. It was on very early in the morning, and we were as slow as the claymation action at that hour.

I can still hear the intro of 'A Mighty Fortress is Our God' and hear the way Goliath says 'Davey'. By the way - I have a brother named David, but we never called him 'Davey'.

Did we watch Davey and Goliath because of the message, or because it was the only childrens offering on Sunday morning? I don't know!

But back to my favorite cartoons and animation, here are just a few I enjoy(ed):

Well, I could go on like this all day, so I'd better not! I know I'm missing a million items, but you get the picture.

We've all had coffee and breakfast here, and Joe is on his way home to either mow the lawn or take a nap. Charlie is asleep in his favorite recliner in the den, and I'm here blogging. ;-)

What was for breakfast? Bacon, turkey sausage, scrambled eggs with cheese, freshly baked biscuits with honey, maple butter, and/or apple butter, juice and coffee. (just a light breakfast)

TTFN - play sound clip - 'Go Speed Racer, go Speed Racer, go Speed Racer, go!'

It's now 4:00pm - Help me, Obiwan Kenobi - I have the B-52's singing 'Love Shack' going through my head. Make it stop! Make it stop!

Don't ya hate it when that happens? It's probably happening now to whoever reads this blog... It's a pandemic like the bird flu! And they can't call it a 'Shack Attack', that's been taken! (yes I know it's really 'Shaq' but you get it...)

Anyhow - I digress...

I've washed sheets and towels today and remade the guest bed in anticipation of my next guest, my friend Cheryl from Rhode Island (please pronouce that 'Rah-die-land'). Cheryl arrives Thursday afternoon and will stay through the weekend.

Speaking of Rhode Island accents (which rival New York's), this is my favorite Rhode Island accent story. I promise you it is true, because I heard it myself on the radio.

The big pop radio station in RI is 92-PRO FM. Everybody knows it, everybody listens to it. When you're lying on the beach roasting yourself to a beautiful toxic waste brown, you are more than likely hearing it.

Here is a discussion I heard at Christmas time (no, I wasn't on the beach at the time):

Disc Jockey: Hi there - what was your favorite Christmas present this year?

Teenaged girl: Said something like 'P.S.D.S- (pee-yes-dee-yuhs)'

Disc Jockey: 'What is that?'

Teenaged girl: 'Yuh know - P.S.D.S. (pee-yes-dee-yuhs)'

Disc Jockey: 'Nope, I'm just not getting what you're saying.'

Teenaged girl: (frustrated) - 'Yuh know, Eye gut my eee-yahs pee-ahced'.

Disc Jockey: (enlightened) 'You got pierced ears!'

Teenaged girl: 'Yeah, that's what I said!'.

I am NOT kidding! Moving right along...

Do you remember radio stations you listened to wherever you used to live?

Here's a few of the ones I remember:
92-PRO FM (When I lived in RI and Southeastern Mass. in the 'land of clam'...)

WBZ - Radio 103 (Boston station - from my grandmother's house and other locations)

Seventy-seven, WABC! (New York station, when I lived in Stamford, Connecticut.

My favorite commercial played on that station - the amusement park commercial for Palisades Park - not the SONG. I knew all the words even without checking on the internet for the lyrics.

http://www.palisadespark.com/faqs.htm#lyrics )

That's all for now, folks!

Comments:
Great to talk earlier! Now is it the age or the cultural differences in that I only know a few of the toons mentioned? I liked Mr Ben, Chorlton and the Wheelies and Bod the best - any Brits out there will most certainly agree! All that Disney stuff was foreign to me in the 70's!
Tiff xx
 
Hi Tiff - I don't recognize a single one of the Toons you mention, so I believe the answer is 'cultural'. And I just scratched the surface!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?