Wednesday, March 15, 2006

 

Day 23 - Sink or Swim


Day twenty-three here, reporting for duty!

We began a ‘water soluble spring break' theme here yesterday with our undersea adventure, so permit me to show you where I swim.

(You youngsters out there are allowed to say ‘fwim’ if you want to, I don't mind!

My friend Cheryl calls me 'Karen Goldfish', and according to 'Charlie vernacular' I must be a 'water dog'.)

It is a carefully guarded secret that some hotels sell health club and/or pool memberships to the locals, because really - who goes on a trip and actually uses the health club at the hotel? Shhhhh, don’t tell anyone!

Don't be afraid - the photo on the left is not some strange plant from 'Land of the Giants', it's my swim gear!

You will note the collection of vintage and retro styled swim caps - very fetching, Karen.

You will note the various pool toys including noodles and swim board.

(You thought I was a lap swimmer? You must be joking! This is supposed to be FUN, not WORK!)

And last, but not least - how many of us are lucky enough to own pink 'Tootsie Roll' flip flops? Yes, they have little pictures of Monkeys and Tootsie Rolls on them. I think I have a pair of 'Junior Mint' flip flops somewhere too... I am so privileged.

Let's compare where I swim with the county recreation center I visited a week or so ago:

Mine: Towels galore and luxurious foam soap dispensers.
Theirs: Ain’t gonna happen.

Mine: Poolside lounges, tables and chairs.
Theirs: Swim competition bleachers.

Mine: Free coffee and juice set up in the health club each morning. Spring water dispenser.
Theirs: Water fountain near the exit door, sometimes operational.

Mine: EMPTY.
Theirs: ‘Nuff said.

Job Hunt Update: (Did I say that as an afterthought? Am I prioritizing correctly?)

Accomplishment: I have made progress on getting some 'skills update' training, I should start in April.

Accomplishment: I spent some time (over an hour) yesterday on the phone with 2 different Dept of Labor branches and on the internet to get something on my claim straightened out. Maybe someday I'll even start getting checks. I hope I get at least ONE before I am reemployed. (That looks highly possible)

Aha! I KNEW someone was going to remember that today is the SENIOR JOB FAIR. NO, I am NOT attending, I'm not desperate! (play sound clip of 'Desperado' here)

Hi there, I'm back!

It's 2:20pm and I need to take a ride to the dump. Great fun!

What is UP with gas prices right now? The price, I know. The price is going up all over town - most stations around here are $2.39 for regular, but the closest gas station to my house (which I don't use because you can't pay at the pump) is now $2.45! Jumpin' petroleum, Batman!

My biggest expense now that I am.. ahem... indisposed is gasoline (petrol for our UK friends out there). I have nothing to complain about as I recall the petrol prices there. ;-) Anyway, I passed one gas station (Shell) today that was still $2.25 so I filled up there. TTFN!

Back again - it's 3:14pm. The man at the dump (read that 'Convenience Center') told me that gas prices over near the interstate are $2.49.

My 1999 Honda-CRV-4-Door-Color-White gets about 30 miles per gallon, and is purring along at 137,300 miles. By the way - I made an appointment today to get one of those 'major' services next Tuesday on my CRV. There goes some $$$. I must say (proclaim) that this is THE very best vehicle I have ever owned, I love it to pieces, and yes I do have the dealer do the services, and yes it is worth it to me, and yes I will buy another one someday, hopefully not before I am EMPLOYED. Can you imagine having to fill out a car loan application and not have a JOB? I don't think so!

A reminder for Survivor fans out there - Survivor is on TONIGHT this week, not tomorrow night! What's that? Do I want to be on Survivor? No, thank you!


Comments:
Gas prices are the same here..$2.39 and climbing...ohhh, it just started Snowing!! Yuck. Don't you just WISH you were here!!!! Brrrr....
 
Now you tell me Survivor is on tonight! I am never home at 8pm and always tape it - so i'll miss it this week! I was bummed they voted off the astronaut.
 
Hi Karen,
Welcome to the ever growing ex-willis club. Went to lunch today with j & p and heard your fate. If you want to send your resume my wife and I can both turn it in at work. Both companies (Qualifacts, American Healthways) are looking for Oracle people. If your not enjoying your vacation too much. cbalkon@yahoo.com.
Tootles...
 
Thanks, Chuck! Let me know if you'd rather not have your email address posted for the world and I can 'moderate' it out.
 
Not to worry. It's my yahoo one. The world already has it. If the attachment doesn't come through with the webmail, I'll send my Outlook address. Have a nice lunch with the old buds today.
 
Everyone - the above comment is NOT an endorsement by me for earning money with this company. I assume it was posted to be helpful rather than an advertisement.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?