Friday, March 10, 2006

 

Day 18

It's FRRRRRIIIIDDDAAAYYY, all you workers out there (except me, I know)!

Friday is still special, even though I'm not working. It hasn't really registered with me that I'm not working ANY MORE until I find another job. It's more like a long vacation without being away - at the moment.

I was sitting in the den last night and hollered 'I'm Unemployed!' 'I'm Unemployed!' a few times to see if that got the message across to my subconscious. My subconscious wasn't impressed. ;-)

I like doing a 'quote of the day'. Today's inspirational quote - 'Strive for progress, not perfection.' I agree with that! And by the way - I feel I made PROGRESS yesterday from my visit to a training center. If I can get funding for it, I'll be doing some self-paced e-learning which I think will suit me just fine. I'm thankful I have a computer at home too!

Well, today is just full of sweetness and light, isn't it?

Ok, here's something to make you laugh. Here is a favorite picture of one of my sisters - I was going to save this for her birthday but I can't wait! I've often wished this was me, because it is so hilarious!

Must...post...to...blog... Must...post...to...blog...














Now it's 10am and I've accomplished the following:

Here is the second photo of the day - my vegetable egg rolls! Ta Daaaa! Now, I'm going out for lunch with friends at 11:30, so I probably shouldn't have eaten SIX egg rolls. Salad bar time!!!

I'll go swim off my guilt afterwards, I'll probably get a cramp (insert Motherly voice here - 'Don't swim for an hour after you eat!'). More later! Buh-Bye!


Here I am again after lunching out, swimming, and running errands. It is 3:42 pm already!

I've had a request to post the recipes for the egg rolls I've been gobbling at a high rate of speed....





Veggie Rolls:

1/2 head cabbage (the top half) coarsely cut
a couple of green onions
8-10 bamboo shoots (from a can)
one shredded carrot or a handful of the slaw mix stuff that has carrots, cabbage and/or broccoli.

Put the veggies in a food processor or hand chopper and chop fine. Microwave for approx 6 minutes till wilted (I did 3 and 3), stirring in between. Mine didn't need draining, but if yours does then drain it, you don't want soggy egg rolls.

To this mixture add:

2 tsp cornstarch
2 Tbs teriyaki sauce
1 tsp sesame oil (get this in the international food section of the grocery store)
A couple shakes of garlic powder
A shake or two of asian spice (I have some of Emeril's)

That's it! Follow the diagram on the back of the eggroll wrapper package on how to fold them - you lay one out in a diamond, put a heaping tablespoon of filling across the lower corner, wet all the edges with cold water, then fold the bottom corner over the filling, then fold in the 2 side corners, then roll the rest like a jelly roll. Be sure you wet the edges so they hold together.

I lay them on a cookie sheet lined with Release Nonstick foil (sprayed with Pam as well), and then sprayed them on the top with Pam for good measure. I baked them at 350 for about 25 minutes. The next time I make them I'll also put a little garlic salt on the tops of them before baking, they needed just a touch of salt. This made 14 egg rolls.

The crab filling I made yesterday:
3 Tbsp fat free cream cheese
1 green onion, chopped fine
1 tsp sesame oil (here it is again - when you smell it you'll think - Oh! Potstickers!)
dash or two of worcestershire sauce (you didn't think I could spell that, did you?)
dash or two of soy sauce
1 (3.5 oz) package of 'Chicken of the Sea' premium crab in a foil pouch, drained.
The next time I make these I will also add cabbage - the crab is salty and needs stretching!

Prepare and bake as above, but use a little less than a heaping Tbsp in each roll. I only made 4 egg rolls from it, but with a little cabbage (remember to wilt it) I could make 6 or more.

Good night, John Boy! Good Night Mary Ellen!

Comments:
Hi Karen, Heard You're Never Gonna Get It on the radio yesterday and immediately thought of you. Your blog is entertaining, just like you. I'm sure you're gonna get a job soon, but don't stop writing the blog, it's like a little ray of sunshine.
--Tom
 
Hi Tom - It's nice to hear from you! If you keep reading, I'll keep blogging!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?